• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another fuel pump went bad

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much pressure can the IP pump handle? Found an inline Airtex (E8131) that runs at 10-15 PSI and I believe 30 GPH. Is this too high?

I've been running one for some time now. No issues, works great.

search "airtex" and or "E8131"

Speedwoble

I am not trying to bash TNJ Murray, John is a great guy, and has always treated me good. I am not far from his shop, so I have met him and been there many times. I did troubleshoot the system, the fuse is good and I do have power to the pump. I have not removed the pump yet, but there isn't too much on the unit itself that could have come loose.
The motor is completely sealed and actually drives the pump via a magnetic connection across an air-gap. If you have gunk in the bottom of your tank, the pump can seize and the motor sill continue to run. When you pull the unit out, try to move the pump by itself. You may only need to clean it and then clean your tank.

DieselBob

Also the magnetic coupling can fail. Thats what killed my pump. The magnet is glued into a cup on the bottom of the motor. The glue failed and allowed the magnet to dislodge from the cup which brought the hole show to a stop. If the pump you received was New OLD Stock it is possible that glue let loose from age. Problem is the only sure way to know is to open the motor housing.

Attachments

Motorcar

Have you checked to see if you have an intermittent bad ground from that pump? A bit of rust where it grounds to the frame...wiggle the line changing it out and good for a couple of months then no go again...just tossing ideas out.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much pressure can the IP pump handle? Found an inline Airtex (E8131) that runs at 10-15 PSI and I believe 30 GPH. Is this too high?
The fuel return line should take care of excess pressurized fuel by returning it to the fuel tank, shouldn't it?

jerseyjeep2003

I went to NAPA, and ordered the Airtex E8131. I picked it up and it is a Carter pump. It looks identical to the Airtex, so I am assuming that they both have the same internals and outputs, but, I could be wrong. I picked up the necessary compression fittings, and will be installing it tomorrow. I am going to use my original pump as the pick up in the tank. While I am in there I will check the tank for crude, but, it should be clean since it has only been a few months since I checked it. And hopefully Murray will do an exchange on the OE pump I got from him....still no word, and he hasn't returned my calls.

JeffAS

I order a Airtex E8131 yesterday and picked it up today but when I got home and went to install it I was looking at the pump and it said 12 volts on it but it had the right part number on the other side to, I call them any order another one it will be in tomorrow after 1

JasonS

I order a Airtex E8131 yesterday and picked it up today but when I got home and went to install it I was looking at the pump and it said 12 volts on it but it had the right part number on the other side to, I call them any order another one it will be in tomorrow after 1
Why not just get the Parker pump mentioned on several threads now?