• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another glow plug question?

spacelarry

I was reading the -20 and it says the glow plug not only has a pre glow period but also an after glow period. I have a push button glow plug control and was wondering if I should hold my button in a few seconds after I have it started the engine?

I haven't done it yet as I just read it but was wondering if it would make a difference in a cold start?

mistaken1

Others have stated it is to smooth out the idle and control emissions by making it easier for the cold engine to completely burn the fuel.

Sounds reasonable to me.

1stSarge

This is one of the flaws with the button bypass, I’m pretty sure most people don’t do this. There are a number of things the “post glow” or “after glow” time accomplishes, but one of the most critical is the prevention of excess engine wear that a cold start causes, preventing early engine failure.

pistonium

I use the post glow on my manual civy truck when doing a cold start if it's really cold. I use it until the engine isn't missiing any more. Once all the cylinders are firing regularly, there isn't really any point to post glow, IMHO. Until then, it keeps the cylinder from misfiring, which can wash the walls of the cylinder with raw fuel, diluting the oil, increasing piston ring and cylinder wall wear. That's the danger of not using post glow.

Be sure you are using 'self regulating' glow plugs to avoid melting them down with manual control.

1stSarge

:ditto:

Plus the timing of the misfiring of the cylinders really wear out the valves and piston bearings fast, as some cylinders are firing out of time while it is warming up. The hot plugs prevent this.