• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Hello from Texas!!

locogringo

Hi all,

I've been looking to get into the ownership club of an old deuce or 5 ton for a few years now. I've got a good lead on a 1967 Kaiser 5-ton, G744/M39 (not sure which is the common name) with an LDS-465-1A power plant.

I guess my main newbie question is, which board is the appropriate one for this vehicle? I'm guessing Post Viet-Nam to Desert Storm - 5ton and up?

Another question would be what is the common name for this model truck? G744? M39? Wikipedia seems to like to call it a M54 but then conflicts with data about it.

I also apologize now for any military related inaccuracies I may say in the future. I have very little military knowledge and I know I will say something dumb or not know something obvious, I wouldn't want to offend any veterans with my lack of knowledge, I appreciate everything yall do and have done.

7tuF4iWl.jpg
xFOWLRcl.jpg
yCmn4tgl.jpg

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from far west Texas (just outside of El Paso). I would say that M54 is the specific model of truck and it is part of the M39 series. Use the series number like when searching the technical manuals (TMs) for stuff in common with the entire series, and use the model no. for information specific to that model (like a part number for the cargo cover).

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. You have a M54A2 which is a member of the M39 family of vehicles. Looks like the one you are looking at was rebuilt by Memphis Equipment at one point. The data plate stamping is way too neat for having been done in the military.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks