• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another HMMWV saved in Germany

AAVP7

Hi everybody,

I´m Arnd from Dortmund, Germany. I just bought a nice 1985 M998 in four-door softtop configuration.

Growing up in Germany in the 80s, I almost daily saw US Forces vehicles on our streets. But the real day when the "green vehicle bug" bit me was at an open day on an USAF base in Belgium in 1986, where I saw that fabled new "HMMWV" for the first time; in the form of an awesome M1025 Airforce armament carrier.

From that day on, I knew I had to have one some day.

Now, 30 years later, I finally have one; almost bulging the walls of my tiny garage :

j3f5i3ky.jpg

The M998 is an ex-USMC vehicle still fitted with the 6.2 diesel. The USMC number is still visible through the new CARC layer that the seller applied, and the truck also has the complete DWF kit installed, minus the intake and exhaust tubes. Drawback is, the car also has that "great" USMC underbody protection goop sprayed over everything.

I also managed to get a nice TOW slantback kit which definitely will need some work, but which is very complete down to almost all of the racks in the back.

At the moment I´m waiting for my larger workshop to get ready, but I hope that in June I can finally start to do some wrenching. I´m sure I´ll have a lot of questions to ask the pros here.

AAVP7

What did the guys at the TUV (vehicle inspection) say to the HMMWV?
Well, as this truck is more than 30 years old, it could get a "historical" plate, and then many things are much easier (no emissions test, for example). Only the headlights had to be changed to non-sealed-beam, sidelights changed to all yellow, and yellow turn indicators had to be added in the rear (red ones are no longer allowed in Germany). But the seller did that quite nicely "in style", using yellow side lights above the rear bumper :

DSC_6479m.jpg

All in all, the TUV inspector was quite generous. He could have demanded extra white lights in the front, as the usual headlights are too far inboard for our regulations, plus a "real" lock on the steering column, plus extended fenders covering the front of the front wheels, etc.. I´ve seen privately owned Humvees overhere that were much worse mutilated by the TUV....

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is AWESOME that our friends and allies in Europe also have these vehicles as privately enjoyed transport.

[Now you need to get a deep fording kit and drive to the USA to say hello (JK).]

Happy Trails.

T

orgnal

Hi everybody,

I´m Arnd from Dortmund, Germany. I just bought a nice 1985 M998 in four-door softtop configuration.

Growing up in Germany in the 80s, I almost daily saw US Forces vehicles on our streets. But the real day when the "green vehicle bug" bit me was at an open day on an USAF base in Belgium in 1986, where I saw that fabled new "HMMWV" for the first time; in the form of an awesome M1025 Airforce armament carrier.

From that day on, I knew I had to have one some day.

Now, 30 years later, I finally have one; almost bulging the walls of my tiny garage :

View attachment 678003

The M998 is an ex-USMC vehicle still fitted with the 6.2 diesel. The USMC number is still visible through the new CARC layer that the seller applied, and the truck also has the complete DWF kit installed, minus the intake and exhaust tubes. Drawback is, the car also has that "great" USMC underbody protection goop sprayed over everything.

I also managed to get a nice TOW slantback kit which definitely will need some work, but which is very complete down to almost all of the racks in the back.

At the moment I´m waiting for my larger workshop to get ready, but I hope that in June I can finally start to do some wrenching. I´m sure I´ll have a lot of questions to ask the pros here.
Congratulations and welcome !

McReddy

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks