• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another long distance recovery...

GoFastCrackPipe

Did you use transit tags? How much were they?
I got a temp tage here in Oregon for $21. Their good for 10 days on heavy vehicles and you can get as many as you want. The only other permits I needed was in Nebraska and that was a fuel and trip permit that cost ~$50.

All of the other states didn't care as long as I had the Oregon temp tag, a bill of sale, and it was a personal vehicle.

GoFastCrackPipe

Nice...I remember driving mine back that same route (well, from Idaho Motor Pool onwards). Fun.

How about that nice 30mph headwind? I was getting like 6mpg in the truck fighting that! Once we got past Hood River (and the wind) the mileage about doubled!

Yea, that was fun... I used more diesel on flat ground fighting that head wind than I used anywhere else on the trip. Total I averaged almost 10mpg but I don't think I was getting much more than 5 or 6mpg there. Probably didn't help that the cargo cover was acting like a large sail!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that...it was pretty ballooned out when you were driving. Maybe check it to make sure it's tied down correctly...not supposed to do that you know...

The cover is either on backwards, or at least the end flaps are folded wrong. It's noticeable in his first 2 pictures.

GoFastCrackPipe

The cover is either on backwards, or at least the end flaps are folded wrong. It's noticeable in his first 2 pictures.
Well I did notice that it's not tied down inside at all, but I had forgotten about it until Dan mentioned it just now... guess I should have checked it right before I left.
I did fix the flaps before I left... the first two pics were at the drmo yard. The way they had them, it would have acted like a scoop.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be labeled FRONT and BACK, on the inside. I seem to always put mine on backwards!:oops:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, inside on the end flaps

rolling18

WOW this was GREAT reading!!
I am now the NEW owner of this vehicle!! and will provide PERFECT documentation for getting a collector vehicle plates!! (must have documented story on ownership.)

I would have liked to hear more about that "bump" though hehe:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks