• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M-812 Bridge Truck

M35A2TN

I found a local M812 I am very interested in here local, seems to be in pretty good shape except it's missing the self loading mechanism as it seems and doesn't have the cylinders for the bed but has the rear winch. So I believe it to be a true M812 even still. He is asking 5500 for it and supposedly it runs and drives fine and I plan on trading my 1993 Wrangler for it, is it worth it and can I drive it like a deuce or is it too wide? It weighs in at right under 26,001 pounds so no cdl required, or at least a believe not required. Any and all input is appreciated, never even so much as looked at a 5 ton till now.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It might weigh less than 26,001 lbs., but that isn't how CDLs and plates are rated. They're based on the total vehicular rated capability (GVWR) and I'd assume a bridge truck is probably something like 50K lbs. GVWR.

Csm Davis

Check with a local DOT office about the width issue in some states a wide load sign and a yearly cheap permit is all that would be required, and for a antique registered vehicle many states don't require a CDL, look up your states laws and don't be afraid to ask law enforcement they will be a lot more likely to say roll on if you show them something from there office.

M35A2TN

True Clinto, wasn't even thinking about that when I posted, the data plate I have a picture of shows 47,000 pound GVWR, CSM I am a firefighter so I am very close to law enforcement, I will ask some of my friends and see what they say. Also I live on a farm so I could register it as a farm vehicle and as long as I stay within 150 miles I will be fine without a CDL also. Many ways I can get around this.

Csm Davis

I would not try to get around IT but in to it if you show ask that you are trying to work within the law they will be much more willing to try to help you rather than if you are trying to skirt the law. Also you can probably just call the permit office and they will give you the right answer. And probably in writing which is golden.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks