• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1009 lead... should I bother?

msoumas

In my continuing quest to become the newest owner of an M1009, I have found a guy in New Hampshire looking to sell one. His has 60k miles on it, and he claims it runs well, but has some rot in the floors. He wants $3900 for it. Am I right in assuming that the price is a bit steep? And, assuming I did talk him down to something more reasonable, how difficult is it for the average joe to do repair/replacement work on floorboards like that?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup - if it has rot in the rockers or floors, $3900 is very steep. Guys here have gotten good condition runners with no rot for low $2K range. I'm not a sheet metal repairman, but from what I understand, replacing floorboards takes mostly time and a MIG welder. Not difficult, but a lot of time....

Bozor1000

I agree with maddawg on that one. The floor boards are easy, you just have to know how to cut them right and weld. But for 3900, that is a lot.

jumpmasterjim

If you buy through Government Liquidation 2k is ok. but remember that titleing and any other work costs money. I just bought an 84 through GL for 1400. + fee 10%, +tax. + SF 97 fee + title fee. + the gas it took to pick it up. I still have to put another 4-500 into it to get it roadworthy. Get the picture. It is getting expensive. If you can talk the guy down a little great. otherwise to buy a mid 80s blazer in that good condition civilian side is difficult in the North east. As far as the floors. I have to weld a few panels into my 84 and it will take a couple of days. Repairing them is pretty easy. only difference is 24 volt starting/ charging system which can easily be converted to 12 volts. Good luck

msoumas

I'm going to peek at it on my way back from rafting in ME this weekend. If it looks ok I might try to talk him down a LOT, but it's going to depend on how bad those floors are. I don't weld, so unless it's something I could patch with some steel and rivets I'd have to hire someone to do the work. I'd love to hear the tone of voice he'd take if I told him I'd give him $1500 on his $3900 price.

truck0590

I have to agree with Jumpmaster above. If it is already titled and ready for pick up immediately that goes a long way in my book. Yes you can get it for cheaper but the process as described above is a PITA. There is something to be said about driving it away with clear title that is worth the extra even if it needs a little work.

Truck

Michael

I would say 3500 to 3900 is about what an extra clean, no parts missing, titled, running M1009 is worth. It is not to uncommon to get these form the military with the floor rusted out without much rust anywhere else. It comes from not removing the rubber floor mats like the MWO told them to. It can range form pinholes along the edge next to the door to the seats falling out. I would knock at least 500 if not up to 1000 since you can't fix it yourself and depending on how bad it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks