• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M1009 towing capacity question

MatthewH

Okay, did some searching and didn't find what i was looking for,

I am looking at hauling some firewood with my M1009, using a M116A2 trailer. I figure i can stack 1 to 1.5 cord of wood on it, but want to make sure the stock setup would hold it. I have replaced the pintle hitch with an aftermarket Reese setup, rated for 15k, and the truck has a trans cooler/temp gauge.
I guess my main concerns are whether the factory bumper hitch setup would hold up to continuous use, making 3-4 hour trips at 60-65mph.

Thanks in advance

MatthewH

Pawnshop

Weight is the key. If your trailer has surge brakes (A2/A3 variety) and is not over loaded (1.5 ton max) then you should be good and safe. I would NOT recommend any more than a 4000lb gross towed load behind a M1009, and then only with trailer brakes. Remember your truck only weighs #5300 empty.

Westech

CPL
you know that the TM states a m1009 can only tow 1200 pounds and Pintal hook of 200 pounds? The problem is not the barkes so much as the bumper is NOT like the M1008 bumper. The suports on the 09 are not all that great. Go under there and take a look. If you want to do towing your much better off and safer using a Class 3 or up bolt on trailer hitch.

and Matt please add a State to your info.

rnd-motorsports

all said you tow 1 /1.5 cord of wood with a 1009 and local dot will have a feild day with you even with a 1008 let alone if the truck in question will pull it. will it pull it? should will it be safe ? most likely not Will it be legal? NOT!!! and befor a moderator get to you include state in your location and welcome to site!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,
I'm confused, you said you replaced the pintle with a 15k reese, which is a frame hitch right? If not I know a guy that can fab up a nice frame hitch ;-)

The bumper setup and the 3.08 gears are the problems for towing. Trans cooler will help.
Might want to use low range around town with a load.
can't do anything about the wheelbase.

Boyne City is in Northern Michigan, where you might get ticketed for hauling less than 2 cord at a time. rofl
3 to 4 hour trips, I think the DNRE may have an issue due to the Ash Borer, unless you're hauling it South bound.

edit: a face cord of dry oak is about 600-700 lbs

Merry Christmas to my fellow OD addicts!

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,
I'm confused, you said you replaced the pintle with a 15k reese, which is a frame hitch right? If not I know a guy that can fab up a nice frame hitch ;-)

Boyne City is in Northern Michigan, where you might get ticketed for hauling less than 2 cord at a time. rofl

That's funny Bob, but true!

If Matt can't fab it, it can't be fabbed (except by Chuck Norris)!

MatthewH

The Reese pintle hitch i bought was a bolt on replacement, rated for 15k lbs. I wanted to haul at least a cord at a time, and i would be headed south down by flint.
Also, if the cord weight mentioned is accurate, it close to the same weight as a welder i hauled north last September on the same trailer mentioned. The welder was 800lbs, not including the pallet, and it handled it fine for the 4 hour trip at 65mph, didn't have any problems.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hauled 1300+ lbs of firewood in one of my M101 trailers. I THINK I took the A2, but if not, I could have taken the A1.

We loaded it to the top of the rails. My buddy gets about a cord of wood every year. He didn't want to take his deuce and his M105 trailer so I volunteered the M1009 and the M101.

NO PROBLEMS what so ever. Freeway speeds were not a problem. I didn't even hook the lights up. NO PROBLEMS.

The truck ran great. The trailer tracked true. I was gone about two/three hours in the process of getting my buddy, going and getting the wood, taking the load back to his place and unloading it, then back home.

Had a great day. Got the load moved and NO PROBLEMS.

AT ALL.

The equipment - if properly maintained - will handle WAY MORE weight than a cord or two will put on the equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks