• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M105 axle swap thread.

sanjuanfly

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new axle for my new to me M105. My goals for this trailer are primarily a utility trailer and a hunting trailer. For hunting I want to make it like a cozy little camper (see pic below). That is why I went with the larger M105 over the M1102 or smaller trailers. Also the price was pretty good.

After reviewing the numerous threads on swapping axles on an M105 I would like to review my plan with those more experienced.
The new axle will be a Dexter 6k lb Heavy duty (0.25 inch wall), electric brakes, and parking brake. Bolt pattern will be the 8x8.65, however, I purchased 8x6.5 to 8x170 bolt pattern conversion spacer - 1.5”. Wheels are 20”x9” Ford rims (to match my 2011 F350) and the tires are275x65r20 (about 34 inches tall). From my calculations losing 3.5” on tire height, an inch from a 3” OD axle, and about 2.5 inches from losing some leafs off the springs. All said I should lose about 7 inches in total height. I think that would be great for my uses.

And now for the most important part, trying to figure out the specs for the new axle. So here is what I think I know, please offer corrections or suggestions. I really don’t want to mess this up. Doing the work myself and can't return custom axles.

1) Outside tire width = 77.5”. Using actual tire outside to outside, not steel rim.
2) Replacement tire from outside face to hub side 3.75”
3) My tire from hub face to inside tire face 7”. Including this for any clearance issues.
4) 1.5” 8x6.5 to 8x170 conversion spacer on both sides (obviously).
5) Springs center to center 40.5”
6) Springs outside to outside 42.5”

So with this information I calculated that I need a 67” hub to hub axle length. The overhang (I calculated this from outside spring) is 12.25” @ hub and 13.75” with the spacers, which in higher than the max listed on the dexter website. This is why I’m going with the heavy duty (0.25 wall) axle. They make a 3.5” OD axle with a 0.5” wall, but I think that might be a little overkill.
Do these numbers make sense? Is there anything that I’m missing?

A couple things that I have been able to do are:
- Replaced the landing gear with bolt on. Tongue weight (as measured by wife’s bathroom scale) went from 333 lb to 244 lb. Makes it a lot easier to move around.
- Added a pioneer tool rack to the tailgate.

- Made a High Lift mount. Plan on adding same thing on other side.

The first pic shows what I would like to do for the hunting set up. Most likely for two people (my son and me).

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, it sounds like you're on the right track. These M105 trailers are awesome for modifying to fit your individual needs.

Better to engineer in plenty of overkill, since you're more likely to break down far away from help than while sitting in your driveway with all of your tools accessible. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks