• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M105a2 lowering thread

Palidora5

I have been cruising the site for the last three weeks and trying different ideas to lower the trailer. I picked the trailer up cheap and figured it would give me something to toy with, I have removed the bottom five leafs from the spring pack and I still need a few more inches so after looking at the trailer last night I had a idea and thought I would see if anyone has ever attempted it. My idea is to remove all the suspension from under the trailer remove the spring shackles and put 2-1/2" to 3" blocks between the shackles and the frame thus allowing me to go spring over axle also will be removing the helper springs . the trailer will never be off road so I am not worried about ground clearance, it will be used as a general utility trailer I want to keep the tires as I love the look, and after this is all done I will be adapting a surge break adapter to the tongue and running new break lines. Sorry fro my ramble I have a ton of ideas in my head and writing them all down I can ramble a little bit.

Thanks,

Anthony

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is alarming how heavy the springs, tires and wheels are. The axle weight is unbelievable!
The body is not bad, neither is the frame without the landing gear. Here is my suggestion.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?112581-M105-Utility-trailer-build&highlight=

You should be able to find a used camper axle and springs reasonably priced or just buy new.
If I had to do it again, and I will, I would use a straight axle over the spring pack.

The original frame and springs are too narrow for a standard axle tube. The distance from the hub to the spring perch is a long way. Lotsa leverage to bend the tube!

Last edited:

Palidora5

i have thought about doing both of those but there is something about the look the trailer has that I love and don't want to mess with it to much. also think it would look cool with the tires safely tucked into the wheel wells. the weight isn't much of a problem as I plan on adding brakes
I came up with this idea after looking at the m200a1 trailer and seeing the m105 axle but inverted

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks