• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M109 to camper conversion!

phil2968

So after having this truck for 7 months now and with 2 rallys under our belt, Ga 09 and FL 10, I have commited myself to doing a proper camper conversion, complete with shower and commode. I have already picked up a dinnete sleeper unit out of a motorhome and have puchased a 24v input 2400 watt output inverter (with charger and auto transfer switch) for ac power.

Today I began to remove inside panels to replace the insulation an repair some rust holes in the outside skin. Besides just 3 screws that would not budge everything came apart quite easily. I did find alot of red clay in the wall. (Would love to know what part of the world that dirt came from). I did not find alot of rust so far but I have only started. My wiring looks good, may reuse it if fits into my new layout. But the old military converter and switch boxes will not be reused along with the box heater.

I have been reading with interest the ongoing threads of similar conversions and may steal some ideas for mine. I have some clever ideas floating around in my head for mine and we'll see how they pan out. I will be at the Ga rally this year with it completed or not.

I think us M109 guys need our own forum!:p

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like you are off to a good start!![thumbzup]

Maccus gave me the idea of taking stuff from an old RV and using the stuff to make the M109 camper.
Since we had two in the impound that were mine...why not?? It's amazing how well that stuff fit in with a little urging by the CAMO Crew.

Maccus has a super build thread and so does zout...if ya havent seen them yet.

Good luck and hope to see you at the GA Rally this year:jumpin:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil,

That's a big project, but I can see you have your "helper" all lined up and ready to work. I can't wait to see the finished project at the GA rally later in the year. Good luck with it!!!!

Green_gator

Phil,
All I can say is get the box back together before summer, which gives you about three weeks. Working inside with only the outer skin is a sauna during the summer. I have to put the mirrors and hard top on mine next weekend then she is back on the road. I will have to make a road trip out your way after I get her road worthy again and say hello. What are you planning to use for new insulation?

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love those trucks. There is so much you can do. I see you have what looks like a new heater. Nice.

I bet your son just loves your big ole truck. Is that his new favorite play spot???

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't wait to see what you do with it! The wife thinks we should tear ours apart and build the inside out after seeing all the super jobs on other m109s.

If you don't want that box heater anymore, I maybe interested in it.

zout

Phil - I enjoyed seeing your son out there helping - does not get better than that.

:beer: cheers to the start of an eventually great project.
Keep the pics rolling in and the status of your build.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you have a good start Phil. Andrew talks on a regular basis about his freind Grayson. I'll show him the pics when I get home.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to see where you truck has been, mainly by the bumper markings that were on it. It's not 100% accurate, but you can start there.

p.s. red clay was predominant in SE Asia.

phil2968

I would love to believe my truck was overseas and the dirt in the walls was put there by Vietnamese ants! I have only uncovered the last set of bumper #'s, which are pass bumper# 1225CSB 272RSG, Driver bumper# 1071-93. CSB = Command Support Battalion?
RSG=? Truck was # 93 for sure but the rest is beyond me.

What #'s are under more layers of paint? I may one day try to find out. Would be really cool to know my trucks history!

Organization:1075TH OD CO MAINT NONDIV DS Location:MARQUETTE, MICHIGAN is what Carnac came back with. I got the truck from Grayling so maybe they were the last to have it but the #'s just don't add up.

maddawg, I'm a big fan of Capt. Reynolds, I have the box set and the movie.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We can't wait to see it on October Phil!

phil2968

The shop van just got a little cooler, literally! I stuck a small ac in the the hole where I was missing a window. It's just a temporary setup, I plan to install roof air as money comes around. It takes just two bolts to remove and will be removed for travel. It will come in handy next month at the Florida SS get together as well has providing a cool place to work.

The tax man has killed any funds for the conversion so things may progress slowly now.
For now I will be removing the rest of the panels and old insulation to repair any holes to the outside. I may not reuse the panels but may go with a wood panel of some kind.

Anyhow the ac project only took about an hour but the results are very cool!(pun intended).;)

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a place to lay down when excrement hits the wind accelerator. I used to have an S318 shelter with a 5000 BTU window shaker and many days (worked nights) it would become my absolute dark and away from intrusion sleep nest. Of course it could be referred to as a "dog house".

Iyaayas184

I have always wanted to do this with an expansible van either deuce or 5-ton. Just like the idea of being able to take a full sized Marriot hotel room around with me. I am Air Force so the lack of maximum creature comforts (along with full per diem and a good chef) tends to make us a bit whiney. :smile:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Phil...i just gotta ask. Why did you place the AC unit in a side window instead of the front window near the cab?

We are just gonna leave ours mounted in the the front window with a cover for when it's in transit/not being used.

markmontana

Hey I found this on amazon and immediately though of guys doing the camper conversion. Its not cheap but it will run on 24v and uses refrigerant instead of a peltier cooling plate. Amazon.com: 43 Qt Portable Compact Refrigerator Freezer - EdgeStar: Automotive
Good suggestion! I had one of these units in an offshore sailboat- ran it on 24 volts. Very efficient and I think good for a camper conversion. It was quite efficient, too. I had some solar panels to keep the batteries charged, nothing like fresh ice cream out on the high seas!