• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M52A2 brake issue/question.

rcflyer70

I'm hoping someone can help with my brake issues...aua.

I have a 1970 AMG M52A2 which I've spent the last 1.5 years repairing and setting up to be a daily driver. Prior to starting the project which is almost complete, the brakes worked perfect.
After getting the wiring harnesses replaced (I replaced the front and rebuilt the rear due to it not being available) and firing up the truck which started as fast after setting a year and a half as my wife's mustang, I found out I didn't have brakes. As part of the repair work, I replaced a wheel cylinder and thought the issue was simply related to the system needing to be bled. I took the truck to a guy that does some work for me and had him bleed the system using dot 5 (he commented that there was all kinds of rust that came out which I somewhat expected) but was still not able to get the brakes to work; the pedal went all the way to floorboard and I could hear venting which to me indicated (along with the rust) it was time to rebuild the airpack.

I ordered the correct rebuild kits for both the airpack and the master cylinder from Erik's Military Surplus (good people). The airpack went perfect with the exception of forgetting to install the flat rubber washer behind the shaft oil seal (I don't understand why you would need a oil seal behind a oil seal). I know the rest of the rebuild was 100% correct due to taking detailed pictures of the disassembly and using them along with the manual as I reassembled it. The master cylinder is where I'm concerned.

The rebuild kit I received #5702178 clearly states that it is for a M54 and M809 series truck. However, upon disassembly of the master cylinder and comparing parts, I found the piston that came with the rebuild kit to be shorter (same diameter) along with having an additional piece (appears to be a flow restrictor) for the opposite side of the spring. I called Erik's and they assured me this was the correct kit for my master cylinder (I gave them the number cast in the case of the master cylinder).

I rebuilt the master cylinder using the supplied parts. Upon installing and bleeding the airpack and master cylinder, I still do not have brakes. When press down on the brake pedal, it goes almost to the floor board before feeling a little pop. The fluid also appears to be bypassing, coming back up into the reservoir.

Has anyone else had this issue? All suggestions welcome!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Make SURE the the ms piston COMPLACENTLY bottoms in the ms, disconnect the ms push rod, push in to it bottoms, adjust the linkage to fit the ms push rod with the ms push rod bottomed, try that .

rcflyer70

Did the guy that worked on the truck know he needed to bleed the air pack first, then the wheel cyls?
I believe so, but no guarantee (I've had him bleed brakes on all of my vehicles over the years).

I cleaned and replaced all the original parts back in the master cylinder today (the rubber on the piston was good as was the spring other than be covered in rust) - it appears to be working now. I won't know for certain until I get the brake bled. As luck would have it, ran out of dot 5 today; have more on order.

I'm wondering about the rebuild kit - was it correct (the guy at Erik's assured me it was but....)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks