• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M543a2 joins the big tire crowd - 16.00's are on...

Been working on getting my wrecker cleaned up and in order. Got the rear half of the frame cleaned and painted - mounted up a set of 16.00r20's on 20 stud 5-ton combat rims and she sits a little higher now...

Gotta prep and paint the back of the cab then will put the bed back on and prep for a full paint job...

Matt

Attachments

Wow nice man. Now that's what I want!!:grin:
What difference in power is there from stock duals and the XZL's
Not sure on the power for a few reasons...

A - Just put the tires on tonight and haven't driven it...

B - Never drove the truck with the 11.00's and the full bed...

C - She smokes alot and likely needs some pump, injector, or turbocharger TLC...

Otherwise my duece lost a bit when I went from 9.00's to 14.00's - had to start in 1st or sometimes 2nd where I always used 2nd previously

Road speed went up but hill speeds went down - I turned the pump up a bit but want to put a pyrometer before the turbocharger before adding too much fuel...

I am toying with building a hot rodded LDS 5-ton motor using the combined know how of all the guys I work with at the shop (heavy marine diesel shop... we overhaul and service engines up to 2,500hp - 40,000hp pretty often...)

We shall see...

Matt

Attachments

It's out in the middle of nowhere... Imagine a triangle between North Bend, Issaquah, and Maple Valley...

Hobart is in the middle - more or less south of North Bend east of Hwy 18...

And yes Ballard is just north of downtown Seattle (other side of Queen Anne Hill)

Well - made a little progress tonight - got the fuel transfer line secured with adel clamps and the reach rod for the power divider all blasted and primed... Got new gladhand seals and another body for the front emergency gladhand...

Then decided to tackle the pinion seal leak at the forward side of the rear axle... the night pretty well went in the ditch after that!

The slip joint on the intermediary driveline is completely frozen... It was quite the athletic process to get it off the flange without being able to compress it... (pretty sure I moved the axle in the rubber bushing to make room)

Figured I'd be clever and strap it to a post and pull it apart with the forklift... No dice; managed to bend the forklift rack and even after using a rosebud and greasing the heck out of it; she's still stuck...

Oh well - you win some and lose some - going to take the u-joints off and have a buddy who works at the foundry strap it down to the floor and use the 50t overhead crane - something will give!

Matt

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires look cool. I love the XZLs. Also, nice paint job so far. Here's what I can tell you about how it will drive with the 1600s and all of that weight...it is going to be a pig. Wreckers...M62, M543, M816, M936 (the more common variants that collectors tend to own)...are ALL underpowered to begin with. By adding the oversized tires, you just sapped most of the power out of that motor. Remember, that multifuel motor was already trying to move over 36,000 pounds (that is more than a 5 ton cargo with a full off-road load!). Now, it is trying to spin much larger tires. I just hope you don't have any hills...forget mountains. Keep us posted. I can't wait to see the finished painted truck! Good luck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have clarified this in my original post. By "underpowered," I mean that the military never spec'ed their 5 ton trucks out with the most powerful motors known to mankind. They chose motors that could handle the desired loads mainly off-road. Off-road means lower speeds. These trucks have plenty of power off-road (translation...usually in low range and in lower gears and slower speeds).

Oh trust me I know already - I use my duece to flat tow a 1962 406 Unimog over the mountain passes here (Stevens and Snoqulamie Pass) and it's on 14.00's - 35mph is doing well at times... The package is near 23,000lbs. I need to turn the pump up more but need a pyrometer first.

But it still is a blast off road!

I plan on building a motor that will put out 300 to 400 horse eventually using a different turbocharge and intercooler arrangement but I want to get the truck up and going first...

Matt

Attachments

6bt?:cool: can't beat it.
Probably right... but I'm the guy that likes to do things the hard way - just to see if they can be done...

Home built reduction boxes for my rockcrawler, on board air compressor built from an AC pump with recirc oiling system, jeep 4.7l stroker that runs on LPG, homebuilt / recentered rims for several vehicles...

All just because - there is a certain charm to the odd and one off...

I think keeping the factory multi-fuel is a worthwhile project... Kinda like making a sleeper...

Matt

ALFA2

wanderingwilliys, that is really interesting and refreshing that you want to keep the multifuel, and up the output of it, that would be a great upgrade, parts and all. Please take pictures as you do it, some really good ideas will come out of that build.

Thanks.

ALFA2

More progress - off to pick up the wrecker bed today... Had to tighten up the loose hub for now - new seals on the way but not here yet...

Replaced the forward rear axle pinion flange and seal - anyone know the OEM approach to sealling the pinion depth shim pack - it looked as though they were dry (I left it dry and it seems not to be leaking)

Got the rest of the cab back chipped and painted - stole another MG leg stiffner and a stiffner that bolts to the top edge off the spare cab I had at home - I'll get them painted and on soon...

Rigged up some mudflaps and lights for the road - I'll let you know how the speeds and power with the 16.00's are...

Matt

Attachments

More stuff... All the hose blocks on the bed were more or less toast...

I searched around for some white oak to make new ones out of but came up pretty dry or it was $$$ - so I used some black ABS I had scraps of...

Put the bridgeport to work and made new ones that sould last.... well; forever...

Matt

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks