• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M886!

hurmit4life

Hello, All-

I'm new to this forum, though I've visited it on many occasion after I bought my 77 M886. Thought I'd join and hopefully add some experience or laughs or photos or something beneficial.

So...I was looking for an old Power Wagon for a buddy of mine last fall (2011) with the intent of installing a big block 400 we had built. That 400 Mopar was pretty healthy and we thought a 4WD truck would suit it well. After some searching, I found this M886 on eBay. I put a bid on it and was the high bidder! I assumed I would quickly be outbid, as there were 4 days left on the auction. I bid a max of $550. Ha! Wrong. I won the auction for less than $550. I think this slipped under a lot of radar screens last October.

Turns out this was not the sort of vehicle my buddy was looking for....so I had yet another project for myself.

Picked this up in November. Got to working on it...tuning it up and starting to go through various items and fixing them. New wiper motor, front disk brakes...put on a set of headers...small things. It wasn't too long before I realized the motor needed more help than a simple oil change and plugs...and the transmission was losing high gear. So...pulled the engine and transmission this spring. Complete overhaul of both. (with some "upgrades" to the motor)

Thought I'd post some photos of this old gal. The paint is just as I purchased it. I do not think it is original. (Obviously) I will want to take it back to a more original paint scheme at some point, but as of today, I'm just thrilled it's about to get a license plate and is roadworthy.

Jay in MO

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M880s are largely overlooked and such great trucks. The ambulaces are especially neat. Gonna be a way cool truck when back on the road.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 880s are tough trucks. They will not be able to pass a gas station without tanking up, though. 8mpg was pretty crappy, but par for the course in mid 1970s. I'd love a diesel in an M880.

That 886 is pretty sweet! Great save!

hurmit4life

Thanks, everyone!

So...I think I already have some advice for anyone resurrecting one of these vehicles. After work today, I had all my paperwork to get a license plate and take her out on the road. Got home and put them on the ambulance. Started her up and took her for a spin around the neighborhood and local roads. Ran great! I was very pleased. Decided to take it out on the highway a bit and see how she handled. On-ramp...plenty of get up and go! Got it up to 65 mph for a bit ,then hit a hill. She started to sputter and lose power. By the time I got to the next off ramp a few miles down the road, it was barely running. Quit at the intersection and would not start unless I put starter fluid down the carb. Dang it. So I put it in neutral and pushed it to the side of the road. (Got some mean looks by passers-by while pushing it out of the intersection...by myself)

Looked closer and found about 1/8" of black sediment in the fuel filter. Found a makeshift piece of flat metal to use as a screwdriver and disconnected the filter to shake it out. Gas was pressurized from the carb and back into the filter and spurted everywhere. I quickly realized that sediment had clogged up the screen filter in my Edelbrock carb fuel intake fitting.

Managed to get it started and limped close to home using back roads and keeping it in 2nd gear. It finally quit and would not start again about 1.5 miles from my house. Called a friend who picked me up and took me home, then got my trailer and towed her the rest of the way.

Here's my advice: Makse sure your fuel lines are clean, and more imprtantly, even if you think the gas is good in the tank, probably a good idea to drop the tank and clean it out before you decide to go too far from home. That's my next step...to drop the tank and thoroughly clean it out. I believe I stirred up a LOT of junk in the bottom of the tank and it eventually made its way to the motor.

lacoda56 - I was told this old gal came from Fort McCoy. Not too far from you. I have a 360 from a Little Red Truck sitting in my garage....thought about rebuilding that and dropping it in, but decided to keep the 318 instead. Good luck with your project!

I'll update everyone more on the truck as time goes on.

goodbrewing

Nice looking truck.
You might want to replace the fuel lines. Ethanol tends to eat the old ones. The other thing many folks do is add a fuel filter before the pump to keep chunks from holding the diaphragm open allowing the gas to flow back to the tank making it hard to start after sitting for a few days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks