• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M931A2 with a 923 Bed

brakejay

I recently finished my shortened cargo bed and got it on my truck. Truck is M931A2. Bed is M923 variety from member smittyjr355 (a great guy). Thanks to all who posted their short bed installs. Just passing along how I did it if it helps.

It is 10ft inside length. I cut the bed to length, cut the "bumper" section out of the removed piece and reweldetd it to the bed. The ends of the bed sides were also removed and rewelded onto the shortened sides. After all the grinding and cutting I'm now sure this is the HARD way to shorten the bed, but something about not having a seam makes me happy.

Just the bed was repainted, truck was not. Rapco paint matches great.

And I have a nice, not even scratched CARC, fifth wheel and ramps available.

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how long did it take to cut down the bed and re-weld it. It does look really good. I'm looking at a M931A2 and this would be a nice way to go.

brakejay

Hard to say, I did it over a couple months, a few hours, every few days, as i had time. The straight cut takes 15 min. Grinding out all the welds on back took about 10hrs. It's a pain. There are some welds that are hard to get to, even with it flipped over standing on it. You get creative like it's surgury. The bed sides have a lot of cutting too. Buy LOTS of quality grinding disks.
Welding back together was fun after all the cutting. Maybe 6 hours?
Lots more time involved in planning and misc. And that 5th wheel removal is a good workout.
All worth it!

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I probably had around a week total in figuring, cutting, fitting and welding when I did mine. A good job takes extra time.

brakejay

That's bad to the bone! Your not putting hardened springs in the bed bolt down mounts for flex?
Not yet. Wanted to but it's really short. I'd like to see how somebody has set that up. She's mostly a pavement queen anyway.

Caution for offroaders... when this is flexed, the stock 14s can hit at the stock bed height. That's because the spacing of bed cross beams is different/shifted. I found that out the first 10 min bed was done . I need to clearance beams or limit bump stops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks