• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M936A2 in the family

Crash_AF

jayjay,
I know where there are a couple of hoods with fenders out here, but I'm not sure you'd want to have them shipped to NY.

Chris,
Do you have a part# or supplier for a P/S pump for it? And what was the core on the pump because I don't have one to turn in.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF

Hey guys, I just got a call from my driver who picked up the 936 from Jackson and he says the tool bins are full of tools, snatch blocks, chains, etc.

Should have pics on Sunday or Monday when it gets here.

Later,
Joe

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Congrats Joe. I'm glad to know it wasn't completely stripped of all the goodies before being sent to DRMO. I can't wait to see the pics.

Crash_AF

Just checked it out in person for the first time. The frame extentions for the winch are bent but the frame is ok. All of the PTO hardware is still there too. The majority of the missing parts seem to be the common 939A2 parts.

I'll upload pics when I get home.

Later,
Joe

Sent from my iPhone

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe when you say "common," I take it to mean that the parts are common to all A2 trucks...not that they are common! The air intake parts, for example, are almost non-existence. Unless someone has a parts truck, you can't find this stuff. Joe, I am glad to hear that the frame is straight! That is a big relief!

Crash_AF

*sigh* It's been one of THOSE days...

First, no pics because when I got home and tried to DL them, they are all blurred and out of focus so I'm guessing my kids killed the digital camcorder. :evil:

Next, NOBODY has a set of cage bolts in the entire town... I had to order them in from NAPA and they'll be here tomorrow. We ended up having to call a wrecker service to come unload it.

But, it's here.... I can touch and smell it.... and take inventory of what's missing.

Here's the short list of surprises:

4 batteries in the battery box, which looks very clean with no rust, all still completely connected and all dead/frozen.

All of the PTO gear is in place for both PTOs

The dash harness is completely uncut from what I can see. Everything was unplugged very nicely.

The electronic light switch appears to function properly with what little battery power is left in the system. The blue lights come on and turn off and the backlighting works.

The tool boxes have a whiffle tree (didn't dig to the bottom for pins yet) a bunch of snatch blocks and chains, and a bunch of other stuff that I need to inventory.

The spare tire mount hardware was laying in the well

Now for the missing parts...
Passenger's windshield
Both wiper motors
Both wiper switches
Front axle lock in switch
Spring brake override switch
Front winch control levers
All gauges except speedo and tach and all dash indicators/lighting
Air brake system has been picked over pretty good
Exhaust pipe between muffler and down pipe
Steering box/column/stone shield
CTIS control box
Left front CTIS shield
Front brake chambers
ALL of the lights
Both fuel caps
Rear winch chain and hook (appears to have been replaced with a front winch chain and hook or maybe a deuce chain and hook)
Transmission dipstick
Two work lights

And now the damage

Left front wheel CTIS valve broken
Both fuel tanks dented
Rear driveshaft twisted in half, removed and laying in bed
Right front rear tire gouged and sidewall punctured
Both front winch frame extensions bent
Forklift dents all over the truck

So, I'm going back out tomorrow when there's daylight and will get some pictures with my phone (which I know works).

Later,
Joe

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad you got her home!! I know it looks intimidating. Trust me, nobody knows how intimidating a 939A2 truck project can look like me :wink: I've been known to drag home the roughest looking hacks out there to make them new again. We can get through this together. :p

I can't believe nobody in the whole city had a set of cage bolts. I'm not surprised they were missing from your brake cans. Most of my 923A2's were gone. The wrecker I used to unload it from the low-boy had a whole sack full in his toolbox. Thankfully my 925A2 came with a full set already engaged.

Get down on your knees and thank God that your dash harness is uncut. That is such a PITA. The A2 trucks are a real spaghetti nightmare back there, especially with all of the CTIS and ABS wiring mixed in!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, you have your work cut out for you, but it sounds like it will clean up nicely. As you pointed out, most of what is missing is not wrecker specific so your hunting should be a bit easier. Good luck with the truck and let me know if I can help or answer any questions. I've owned three A2s in the past and currently own two.

ONTOS66

Congratulations and Deepest Sympathy!!

The good news is you got the truck you bid on.
The bad news is you got the truck you bid on.

Looks like you are going to have a great time this winter locating the missing and damaged parts, banging on metal, busting knuckles, cuss'n and generally having fun.

Merry Christmas - wish I had room for something that big.

halftrack

At least its home. I feel for ya with the unloading process. Congrats. Did they leave candy wrappers in the radiator surge tank and air filter housing like they did with mine??:evil:

Crash_AF

Nope, no candy wrappers to be found, and most of the plugs are intact so they were mostly gentle in removing parts from it.

I checked the batteries with my multi-meter today and found that they all have about 11.5v each and about 22.6v across all 4 without me putting a charger on it. They're all properly wired up too. So I got to playing with the new pushbutton switch that was installed on it and it seems to work fine, turns on the four marker lights on the side of the truck bed at least, now I just need to get a new plug to the hood so I can splice that back together and put some headlights/taillights/turn signals on it and it might actually have all the lights functioning.

Since the batteries are hooked up, I'm taking a trip to Rancher's tomorrow or Friday to pick up a transmission cooler and get the lines for the tranny hooked up so maybe I can try firing it up this weekend. Might get an oil pressure gauge so I can see if it's ok too.

Hopefully the EUC on the parts truck clears soon so I can get the air system replumbed and steering installed. If I'm EXTREMELY lucky, I might actually be able to move it under its own power by the end of January.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks