• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another M998 MMA MWO question

STRATERRA TACTICAL

'88 M998 with 6.5 n/a 3 spd. Looking at my data plate from MMA 10/2006 to determine if I had a complete overhaul and I get 280 20-1 (steering cooler), and 280 35-2 (3 pt seat belt). I have the standard seatbelts...no 3 pt. So I called MMA and Cathy advised me that they do not even really have access to M998 record archives anymore. Any way to find out what I'm working with? Obviously the 6.5 was a part of the work done as it was post 88. Thanks in advance!

Wire Fox

'88 M998 with 6.5 n/a 3 spd. Looking at my data plate from MMA 10/2006 to determine if I had a complete overhaul and I get 280 20-1 (steering cooler), and 280 35-2 (3 pt seat belt). I have the standard seatbelts...no 3 pt. So I called MMA and Cathy advised me that they do not even really have access to M998 record archives anymore. Any way to find out what I'm working with? Obviously the 6.5 was a part of the work done as it was post 88. Thanks in advance!
I don't understand how any HMMWV in military custody escaped 3-point belts. From the bulletins I've read, the Army made a real big **** deal out of it. It's all way too easy to install for the front seats, so there's really no excuse for them not to, especially through a rebuild.

Now the steering cooler upgrade...open the hood. Is there a small radiator added to the top of the stack, near the front of the truck? It should be as wide as the rest of the stack, about 3" thick, and 4" tall.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

STRATERRA TACTICAL

Yes it has the cooler installed. I don't get why it would have the mwo for the 3 pt seat belts though, and have the original seat belts installed front and back. Yes, I actually remember getting the 3 point seat belts sent to us in Afghanistan for us to install, so they were making a big deal about it. I was looking more to see if it was a complete overhaul though. I don't see bigger brakes or frame plates though...so maybe they just put the 6.5 engine in with the steering cooler and called it a day

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No bigger brakes on 3 spd. trucks , and they don't overhaul the whole thing...they upgrade some, and replace whats AFU.
Frame plates...Whats that ?
6.5 probably went in do to a bad 6.2.
Sometimes they change the T/C.

STRATERRA TACTICAL

No bigger brakes on 3 spd. trucks , and they don't overhaul the whole thing...they upgrade some, and replace whats AFU.
Frame plates...Whats that ?
6.5 probably went in do to a bad 6.2.
Sometimes they change the T/C.
Thanks 86humv, yeah I meant no extra strengthening of the frame as far as I can tell. I could see that the parking brake closes the caliper on the rotor...so that is good. Last major service was done in 07/2011 as written on suspension components.

Action

If you have the e-brakes on the rear calipers, then they have been upgraded. You won't find the Wilwood brakes on these older HMMWVs.
86humv, I think he means the frame strenthening kits like the ones on epay.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the e-brakes on the rear calipers, then they have been upgraded. You won't find the Wilwood brakes on these older HMMWVs.
Probably....I have a kit, but don't need it.

snowtrac nome

As I remember there were 2 mwo's for the 3 point seatbelts the first contract the belts came up too short to get around fat folks and body armor. I remember installing them in both hmmwv's and duces before we got a don't do it notice than later they came out with a longer seat belt assembly. Yours may have been slotted for an upgrade than surplusd before the kit came in. I also remember they may have also had to be reported as nmc until the 3 point system was installed. How time flys seems like yesterday I retired but looking at it now that was over 10 years agomaybe even 15.

STRATERRA TACTICAL

Yes, I mean the epay strengthening kits...they will be a must. E brake is on the rear caliper

Last edited:

STRATERRA TACTICAL

As I remember there were 2 mwo's for the 3 point seatbelts the first contract the belts came up too short to get around fat folks and body armor. I remember installing them in both hmmwv's and duces before we got a don't do it notice than later they came out with a longer seat belt assembly. Yours may have been slotted for an upgrade than surplusd before the kit came in. I also remember they may have also had to be reported as nmc until the 3 point system was installed. How time flys seems like yesterday I retired but looking at it now that was over 10 years agomaybe even 15.
Thank you! Yeah, it's been one year for me...

STRATERRA TACTICAL

Thanks all! 3 pt is on today. Came in one of the boxes I hadn't opened yet. I also reinforced the Airlift, so I guess all I need to do later is to reinforce the cross member and the front of the frame!

BLK HMMWV

So are you saying e-brake as in only one ? on the rear drive shaft?
or has it been upgraded to the new style with (2) new calipers on both rear wheels?
BH

Wire Fox

Looked yesterday both calipers, both wheels. Seems like one huge piston pushing in on the calipers.
I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding-you're not trying to count how many pistons are in each caliper. The original parking break design had a rotor on the main rear drive shaft itself and a 5th caliper to actuate just the parking brake. The fuel tank will actually be specially shaped to provide the needed space for this. If you had this MWO performed, this would be deleted and replaced with a longer drive shaft, plus the rear calipers would be replaced with units that have integrated parking brake actuators.

STRATERRA TACTICAL

I think you have a bit of a misunderstanding-you're not trying to count how many pistons are in each caliper. The original parking break design had a rotor on the main rear drive shaft itself and a 5th caliper to actuate just the parking brake. The fuel tank will actually be specially shaped to provide the needed space for this. If you had this MWO performed, this would be deleted and replaced with a longer drive shaft, plus the rear calipers would be replaced with units that have integrated parking brake actuators.

Yes, the MWO has been done, but is not stamped on the data plate. Both sets of calipers are the same...front and rear both have the ebrake closed on the rotor when parked.

STRATERRA TACTICAL

I will take pics when I get a chance, because it is different from both options. From what I saw yesterday both front and rear calipers close on the rotors when parking brake is applied. Will check again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks