• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another MEP-003a AutoStart with PLC

SteveH

While this is an interesting project, if I were to look at retrofitting auto start to a MEP generator I would strongly consider a product like this one from flight systems http://www.flightsystems.com/standb...-540-genset-control-panel-engine-control.html

Ike
I like the look of that - if I'd seen that before starting my project, I would probably have gone that route. I did see other controllers on ebay at around $300, but that looks to be a far better made unit. One thing that they point out is that it will still run at down to 7v - clearly that's so it doesn't need the UPS. I guess I'll have to use one of these on the next one I automate!

SteveH

With the project finished, I thought I'd post another video showing auto start, and the PLC Interface now everything is buttoned up. (apologies for the quality)

First the I switch to 'Auto' mode; and show the status of the generator (Utility power is out, and the UPS is providing power to the PLC). Then I short out the remote start wires (these will be wired to an Auto transfer switch in the house). PLC then primes, pre-heat and starts the MEP. If you look carefully on the PLC display, you will see it is still 'cranking' for about 10 seconds after starting. At this point the MEP kicks out the starter, but keeping the relay closed ensures the generator is flashed. Finally another look at status. UPS battery is now charging, and we have AC power (at 60hz). During this test I had the generator running a 12,000 BTU window air-con unit - I'm pleased at how stable the standard mechanical governer keeps the frequency (I ran it for an hour today, with varying loads)

-Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7IidQgKPVw

Isaac-1

I have bought from flight systems before including one of their reverse engineered direct replacement control boards for an Onan commercial generator, but have never touched one of their universal controllers. They are a great company, and will go out of their way to help on tech support issues.

Ike

SteveH

Final update: MEP & PLC now hooked up to an ASCO 185 Auto Transfer Switch. I had a local electrician do the ATS install for insurance/code reasons. We tested by disconnecting the service switch; PLC had the generator up and running 45 seconds later success!! After 15 minutes running we reconnected the utility power, and everything went smoothly, with the generator shutting down after a 5 minute cool down period.

The electrician was still packing up his tools 43 minutes later when the utility power went out! (neither of us could believe it initially). Generator kicked in and ran perfectly. Best real-world test ever! He said he'd never even actually seen a generator kick in (except when tested) in 15 years in the job....

-Steve

Roger O

Unfortunately not too good. My -003a recently arrived (thanks Jeff!), is working well and I am in the process of setting it up with a PLC autostart (from info in this thread) and hooking it to my Generac ATS. I am also in the process of building a shed to house it and the M1162A2 trailer it's on. I figure if it is on the trailer, it will be easier to move if it needs major servicing, and if the town I live in (very small community) needs additional power in an emergency, I can always tow it for that as well. Sorry if this post seems like a hijack.

SteveH

Unfortunately not too good. My -003a recently arrived (thanks Jeff!), is working well and I am in the process of setting it up with a PLC autostart (from info in this thread) and hooking it to my Generac ATS. I am also in the process of building a shed to house it and the M1162A2 trailer it's on. I figure if it is on the trailer, it will be easier to move if it needs major servicing, and if the town I live in (very small community) needs additional power in an emergency, I can always tow it for that as well. Sorry if this post seems like a hijack.
Hi Roger - no problem (I think it's good to have a thread devoted to Autostart - I couldn't find much other that Sewerzuk when I started). Did you decide to go with the Flight Systems controller, or are you brewing your own?

Roger O

I decided to homebrew, after so many years as a ham radio operator, it would be a "sin" to buy a prepackaged controller! I'm using a Teco SG2 PLC, and have already written the program with the help and guidance of Sewerzuk.

SteveH

I decided to homebrew, after so many years as a ham radio operator, it would be a "sin" to buy a prepackaged controller! I'm using a Teco SG2 PLC, and have already written the program with the help and guidance of Sewerzuk.
Agreed - definitely a greater sense of achievement doing it yourself! Do you think that with the SG2 you can avoid having to provide a second DC source of power (other than the main batteries?) That was the main hassle using the Unitronics (though I never tried it without the UPS...)

-Steve