• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Muffler Thread - The one I chose and why.

talskinyguy

I had 2 goals when adding a muffler
1. As quiet as possible.
2. Not choking the engine so much that I burn something up.

The first step was figuring out the CFM of the exhaust.
I used this from donaldson's website to figure that out.
http://www.asia.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/support/datalibrary/1053747.pdf

I came up with an intake CFM of 540 using a VE of 1.5, but the stock air filter is only rated for 410 CFM from what I can find, so I'll just work with both numbers.

This gives me an exhaust CFM at 1000 degrees of 1108 if I assume 410CFM intake, and 1460 if I assume 540CFM intake.

At this point I decided to use the numbers that went with 410CFM intake since that is what the intake filter is rated for. This seems to assume a VE of 1.12 for the math to work out, which seems low for a turbo engine, but the intake is going to restrict flow at this point anyways.

The form from donaldson also said to not exceed 3 In HG of exhaust pressure, so I am looking for a muffler that flows 1108 cfm at 3 In of HG.

I found this Donaldson muffler M090146 with the following specs.
Inlet Diameter:3.50 Inches (88.90 MM)
Outlet Diameter:3.50 Inches (88.90 MM)
Body Diameter:9.00 Inches (228.60 MM)
Body Length:44.50 Inches (1130.30 MM)
Overall Length:51.00 Inches (1295.40 MM)
Rated Flow LR:578.00 CFM (16.3574 CMM)
Rated Flow MR:817.00 CFM (23.1211 CMM)
Rated Flow HR:1010.0 CFM (28.583 CMM)
Back Press LR:1.00 In Hg (25.40 MM Hg)
Back Press MR:2.00 In Hg (50.80 MM Hg)
Back Press HR:3.00 In Hg (76.20 MM Hg)
Attenuation:19-25 dBA

And this is where my compromise came in.This muffler has the most sound reduction rating by nearly 10dBA that I could find. And how often am I sitting at 2600 RPM and running full throttle? In my experience never. 2400 RPM gets me back down to a flow rate that causes less than 3 In HG and I am rarely ever full throttle in that scenario either.

This math is based on my own assumptions of how I drive and my fuel pump not turned up at all. I will be getting an EGT gauge in the future to make sure that I don't burn anything up, because this amount of back pressure will definitely make my EGT's raise faster, but I don't think they will get to any dangerous amount with the way I drive the truck.

Then again maybe all this math is garbage on this engine because the head doesn't flow worth a **** or something. Because it is generally agreed upon that its 1.5 cfm intake to each hp and 2.2-2.3 cfm exhaust per hp. If that is true then I'm below even the 1 In HG number for this muffler at max hp of the engine.

Last edited:

talskinyguy

View attachment 472241

This muffler is massive. More to come when I install it.

Also other mufflers cross reference with this one, but from what I have found they are the same in physical dimensions only. They are all straight through and therefore would not have the same sound reduction.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just search "M090146".

talskinyguy

Just search "M090146".
That is the muffler I have, and the part number listed in my post.

If you quieten your exhaust, you will recognize all the other noises :D ... insulate your cab and hood. that will help a lot.
I would have to put a top on the truck for it to make a big difference. But I will be looking at ways to quiet it down more once it warms up and I start driving it more.