• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another new guy :)

98taco3

Just got a 53 M37 last weekend. I got it out of sunflower, az, about a 13hr drive from here. The truck is complete except for a wiper arm and 4 light lenses. And now for some fng questions lol. Is there any outward differences between a military 230 and a civilian? The engine was painted yellow at some time or another, im assuming it wouldnt have been if it was military. It also has a civilian style carb and fuel pump on it. also, i dont believe the hardtop is an original one, it doesnt have a sliding rear window in it but it is square, not round like a duece would have been. Heres a few pictures of it and the top...

Top window

LanceRobson

Welcome aboard. About the only thing I know about M37s is how to spell "M37" so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

I'd recommend starting a thread titled something like "M37 engine original?" or some such to catch the eye of folks who could help.

Good luck

Lance

markmontana

taco, Welcome! Looks like a nice truck. Hope you'll find this site a great resource-like I have.

You'll need transportation while you're working on the M37- let me suggest you pick up a spare deuce or two...

----

Nickathome

Upper left corner of left side of engine block will be the serial number of the engine. If military it should start with or at least contain T245 somewhere in it.

Also ,if military the oil filler neck and dipstick tube will be screwed into the block. If pressed in, then its either a civilian engine, or as in the case of my truck a dodge 230 military industrial engine.

Peer into the right front wheel well and look between the clip and the frame with a flashlight. Under the valve cover should be an info tag. It will give you important data such as when it was rebuilt, etc.

Those blackout light covers are easily obtained through the normal channels like Sid Beck, John Bizal, AB Linn, MV shows, etc.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

I know that the military engine can have the fuel pump and carb swapped for civvy ones no problem, so if you do indeed have a civilian engine block, getting military peripherals on there shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing to look at is the distributor. If it is just a standard, round civvy distributor, to go back to military you will have to replace (if I recall correctly) either the oil pump or a gear in the oil pump with the one used on the Mil T245 engines so the military distributor shaft will fit correctly. For images of this, the organization maintenance manuals have lots of good pictures of the engine bay.

If you don't have one already, order a CD of manuals from Military Media Military Base Newspaper Advertising. It's only $20 and has ALL of the manuals for the M37. Then you'll be set for life.

Nice truck--have fun with it.

98taco3

the truck does have the military distributor in it and the truck is still 24v. fuel pump is a civvy one. The oil fill tube is bolted on, maybe someone along the line just painted the thing yellow....