• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another new M1009 owner with questions.

Gunworm

I have been wandering this site for a while, gathering information. and I finally decided to buy me a M1009. I dont have the time or resources to buy from a military auction thousands of miles away. so, I just kept searching the internet and watching ebay. finally, last week, a M1009 showed up for sale and it was only 150 miles down the road from me. so I just had to put in a bid. I ended up getting it for 1820.00. it has 77k miles and runs great.

after winning the auction, I had to go pick the thing up...and that's where the fun started. I went to U-haul to rent a trailer and told them what I was picking up. well, they told me that it weighs too much for their trailers. bah!. so, I went to another u-haul place and told them I was picking up a mustang instead. :razz: they gave me the trailer and off i went. luckily, the blazer just barely fit on the trailer they gave me. so we loaded it up and I hauled it home. when I got home to unload it, I was already late for work. so I hopped in, started it up...and no headlights...ack. must have shaken a fuse loose or something. but I didnt have the time to check it. so I drove it off and parked it next to the barn.

I then had to haul butt, drop off the trailer, hop in the 18 wheeler, and head to work. I am sitting here in Mass, thinking of my new truck sitting out in the yard. I didnt even have hardly any time to look it over or grab some pics. I should be home in a couple of days and then I'll toss up some pics for ya'll.

the only things I want to do with this truck is add 33 inch tires, add a stereo and a CB radio. do I need a lift for 33's? anyone have any tips on adding stereos and radios?

thanks ahead of time for the help. I also want to figure out the markings on this truck and where it came from. here is a link to the ebay auction with some pics.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0337798285&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem=

Armada

Congrats on the new truck. Looks like you got a good one. For the lights, check to make sure the blackout/service light toggles are in the correct position. More than likely that is the problem so start there.

bbbang

I am working on a similar project. I believe you will need a 4" lift to avoid a bunch of fender trimming for 33" tires. That is my plan for that set up. I am still looking into the stereo, CB issue so I don't have any recommendation, but there are a bunch of posts some with pictures on this site. You did good on the M1009. Chris

LanceRobson

Welcome aboard and its always good to be able to enable another addict's slide into MV addiction!

As stated, check the toggles at the lower left corner of the dash. The fuse block is on the fire wall left of the steering column. The layout for it is in the -20 manual.

I highly recommend that you download the TMs and look at the "electrical troubleshooting" section of the -20 manual.

You are looking for:

TM 9-2320-289-20
TM 9-2320-289-34
LO 9-2320-289-12 (LO=Lubrication Order)

You may also want to download the parts manuals. They are very helpful to use the diagrams to see what is attached to what else, what things look like and where they are.

You'd want:

TM 9-2320-289-20P
TM 9-2320-289-34P

Good luck! Now go out and enable another addict!!

Lance

jpcj-7

Good luck with you new M1009! Keep us posted with how the 33" Tires/lift works out, I would like to do the same thing to mine at some point. From my research I have heard that a 4" lift is needed for 33x12.5 Tires.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addition to Lance's suggestions, I find the Chilton's manual and LMC catalogs very usefull. The Chilton's manual gives details not found in the TM's and the LMC catalog may give views of parts not found in the TM's.
Good luck!

dmc-4359

Forgive my ignorance, what should I look for to see if my m1009 is lifted? Any chance you can tell from the pics below? I have 33 X 12.5 tires on it but I didn't think it was lifted.

Gunworm

thanks for all the help. I cant wait to get back home and take it for a spin out in the back yard (8 acres)

do you have a link where i can download or buy the TMs?

Gunworm

I also want to add a winch to this thing some time in the future. I seem to have a bad habit of getting stuck where there is no one to help.:-D:razz:

has anyone thought about or ever tried to add a snorkel to one of these? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to add one of the commercial kits. of course, what I really always wanted was a Marine Corps style slope back hummer with the water fording setup. might have to save my pennies for a few dozen years before I can afford one of those though.:p so this M1009 will be the next best thing. my Brother was with the 3-1 motor transport in the Marines, but he is in okinawa for 2 more years. I'll have to enslave him to work on this truck with me when he gets back. lord knows he spent enough time working on them in the 13 years he has been in the Marines so far.

Last edited:

n1bnc

Forgive my ignorance, what should I look for to see if my m1009 is lifted? Any chance you can tell from the pics below? I have 33 X 12.5 tires on it but I didn't think it was lifted.

This truck appears to have a body lift. Crawl underneath and look at where the body mounts to the frame. If they are stock, they would be relatively short. Aftermarket has longer bolts and hard rubber cylinders on the order of 3" or so. It is a way of keeping the suspension stock and is more inexpensive than a suspension lift. The tip off was how the rear bumper sits relative to the body compared to a stock truck. Enjoy!

dmc-4359

This truck appears to have a body lift. Crawl underneath and look at where the body mounts to the frame. If they are stock, they would be relatively short. Aftermarket has longer bolts and hard rubber cylinders on the order of 3" or so. It is a way of keeping the suspension stock and is more inexpensive than a suspension lift. The tip off was how the rear bumper sits relative to the body compared to a stock truck. Enjoy!

I see. Thank you. I'll take a look when I get home today. Whatever the difference is, it is enough to allow for 33 inch tires without any rubbing should anyone be curious. I'll follow up with what I find out after work.

joeypushjr1

well my truck dosent have any kind of lift on it and im running 32.11.50 and i entertained the idea of 33 12.5 and i have more than enought room to house those tires you may not have to do anything to it but if you do get stuck alot you might just want the lift anyway..joe

Gunworm

well...I figured out the headlights.:-D but my passenger side headlight is out.:cry: gotta head to the store and pick up a new one.

also, my parking brake light stays on all the time....that's gonna get annoying. any tips for getting that thing to turn off?

Mtrdrms

I second the body lift. I also had trouble with uhaul and getting a trailer. I ended up telling them I was going to get a Toyota Corolla! Turns out my 1008 fit fine and made the 400 mile trip without a glitch.

AJMBLAZER

33x12.5's should fit but if the suspension is sagged a bit or you flex the snot out of it they will rub. Also depends on the wheels you use. Put them on the stock 15x8's (or similar size/backspacing) they should fit as I said above. Put them on 15x10's or any size with low backspacing they will rub.

Narrower 33's would be easier to fit.

stampy

Hey you are going to have a hard time finding a 24v stereo. I got on ebay and ordered a 24v to 12v dc transformer 15 amp($40) to suppy power for all my 12v stuff. Pulls off both batteries so you don't over current one.

AJMBLAZER

Don't need a 24v anything in the cab. Only the starting system is 24v. Everything else is standard GM 12v of the era. Plenty of 12v power sources.

stampy

teaches me to buy something before testing. I guess I will use it for the Deuce.... Unless the setup is the same as the cucv

Gunworm

well.... i figured out a couple of my problems and found a couple others. the parking brake light staying on is because the brake pedal doesnt come up all the way. when I lift up on it, the light goes off. just have to add a spring. I also found some more rust holes in the floor, behind the drivers seat, under the gun rack. I plan on spraying the entire interior with truck bed liner, after I fix the rust holes. should stop any more rust and quiet it down a bit. I finally got to drive it today. took it through the snow to the gas station and back. it did really well on the snow covered roads. we got about 4 inches here. I found that the passenger headlight works on low beams, but not on high...still gotta get a replacement.

the only other problem is the right turn signal indicator light on the dash stays on when the headlights are on. gonna be tricky finding the cause of that.

and, I got off my butt and got some new pictures

sooo...how hard is it to add a turbo to this engine? and will it really help much? I have no mechanical skills, but I am sure I can find someone to do it if it is worth the trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks