• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another New Member with a M923A2 from GL posting first time experience.

FlakShrapnel

I know several issues I may have belong elsewhere, but I hope the website administrator may direct me as opposed to delete thread completely. ;-)

Best friend and I drove to New Castle Delaware Monday and picked it up yesterday from Truck Center. I like to give a special thanks to the employees at Truck Center New Castle DE. They offered important how to information days before picking up M923A2.
:jumpin:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7057936

My buddy Marcus has a North Carolina class A and I have a NC class B licenses. Delaware DVM was extremely helpful with temporary transportation license tag regardless they never figured out how to deal with the military ID number 23 / 06878 as a VIN number, which was strongly suggested end use for VIN by GL.

DE DVM actually used the multi-number mixed with letters on the bill of sale as well as listed on the GL bid website information copy I had with me DTID: W56KJL30720045B.
Nonetheless it got the M923A2 and I home safely because I believe based on new BMY Harsco M923A2 commercial vehicle insurance policy and class B operators licenses.

The drive home during winter storm was eventful because as I started home so did the heavy snowfall. I never could get in front of the storm front turning an 8 hour road trip into 13 hours.
:driver:

During my drive home the driver side headlight stopped working. I did notice later on the driver’s inside door panel someone faintly caulked don’t use headlights. Both headlights worked during the pre-trip before leaving and the passenger side headlight performed well all the way home on high and low beam.

The passenger side mid-axle tire developed minor issues. The outer sidewall developed slight dish marks and vibrated a little during road trip. I did stop ever 100 or so miles to inspect tire. The wheel, hub, axle bearing, and tire sidewall never develop heat issues. Was a little worried about damaging the axel bearing. The spare tire appears new and I have near future plans to exchange or replace with another purchased used tire. I drove into 3 weigh inspection stations DE, MD, and VA all gave green lights to roll on.

Any suggestion for tire exchange and especially headlight electrical issue is greatly appreciated because I’m schedule for NC personal vehicle inspection on Monday 1/27 at Triangle Auto and Truck Repair in Cary NC before temporary tag expires.

On a special note for those who it may concern:
My first concern before picking up the M923A2 were with the Maryland Port Authority based on warnings from my law enforcement, NRA and NFA friends. Maryland has laws that prevents out of state conceal carry and CCW/CHP licenses will show up on their license plate check before they pull you over. Regardless if you’re unarmed licensed CCW/CHP and completely obey Maryland law expect time delay dealing with the Port Authority’s in depth background checks, Q/As, vehicle searches, and roadside embarrassment…lol.

Not a showstopper but requires consideration for licensed conceal carry owners that may have future plans to drive or transport through Maryland.
:recovry4x4: bbb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

5tonman1971

First off welcome to the site!

congratulations on your safe recovery! You will love your 923. But my m813a1 WILL SPANK ANY M939 series

FlakShrapnel

Probably, kinda fell into this. Never thought I would win a bid at $2699. I'm old style truck driver never was much on auto-trans. I guess built for the average 18 year old enlisted.

Used a old Duce and a half for small logging operation years ago. The PTO winch was super strong for pulling cut down trees up hillsides. Welded 2 large metal plate wheel stops together each linked with logging chain mounted to front bumper. Placed wheel stops on front tires and logging chain held them in place while pulling trees uphill and as the truck slid froward forcing wheel stops into the ground. After tree was within 10ft of truck I simply backed the Duce rearward pulling the wheel stops out of the ground by logging chain mount dragging the trees to flat area for section cut. This hillbilly system never failed after years of service.

I know from personal experience the extreme capabilities of the older military cargo trucks because I had to adapt them for logging use. However I have my doubts the newer versions handling the same abuse I use to inflict on the older mid 50s military trucks. Sorry I don't remember the number codes for the military trucks I used. To me they were crazy strong and tough off road logging trucks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
List your state, as the rules request.

5tonman1971

Yea these m939 series trucks are tough but notas tuff as the all mechanical m809 series and older trucks. Just word of advice, I would not use reverse in low and locked, trying to pull anything, you WILL rip the transfer case right out from underneath the truck.

And a a bit more advice just to help you out with the forum, please read the rules for new members it will make you life easier and the mods life easier. Also if you have not noticed yet all the appropriate TMs are posted to help with your issues. Try to use them before posting a problem 8-10 times you will find your answer in there but something's are hard to find. There's a lot of TM police on here but for good reason.

enjoy the site and your new truck!! We are a big happy family here even have the old crank grandfather...not gunna say any names (cough cough)

FlakShrapnel

List your state, as the rules request.
Any suggestion for tire exchange and especially headlight electrical issue is greatly appreciated because I’m schedule for NC personal vehicle inspection on Monday 1/27 at Triangle Auto and Truck Repair in Cary NC before temporary tag expires.
Sorry, I guess I should have been more direct to apply to website rules...:shock:

FlakShrapnel

Yea these m939 series trucks are tough but notas tuff as the all mechanical m809 series and older trucks. Just word of advice, I would not use reverse in low and locked, trying to pull anything, you WILL rip the transfer case right out from underneath the truck.

And a a bit more advice just to help you out with the forum, please read the rules for new members it will make you life easier and the mods life easier. Also if you have not noticed yet all the appropriate TMs are posted to help with your issues. Try to use them before posting a problem 8-10 times you will find your answer in there but something's are hard to find. There's a lot of TM police on here but for good reason.

enjoy the site and your new truck!! We are a big happy family here even have the old crank grandfather...not gunna say any names (cough cough)
Thanks for the heads up!

I'm accustom to shooting competitor talk forums. The mods generally move thread posts to correct areas and same questions repost are not penalized to encourage friendly interaction. Often new ideas, techniques, and/or methods may develop which may not made the latest TM versions.

My logging days have been long gone and this particular truck is basically a toy. I could tell right away it would have serous issues dealing with heavy duty off roadwork in comparison.

However I’ll double back to TMs and leave you guys alone.

Thanks again for your time 5tonman1971
:beer:
Big B

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, and congrats to a challenging and successful recovery. I've also heard horror stories of the Maryland Port Authority for CCWs or NRA stickers. You need to keep an eye open at Ft Bragg or Camp LeJeune for a M105 trailer to complete your rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks