• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another new Member !!

MikePeters

Hi Gents ..Just wanted to check in with you and introduce myself. I've collected WW2 War Souvenirs for over 40 years and , bought my first MV (1944 GPW) back in 1978 ..been hooked ever since :wink:
I'm working on my 880 right now and found this Forum ..glad I did !
Here's my line up --

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that is great a really nice collection. I see you were helping to build up some current day Soldiers too from the Solders in the back round. thanks for supporting them and welcom to the site it may just be where you spend most of your time on the web like most of us.

God bless

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, the 880 series - the black sheep of the MV family. Oh so useful, but not too much respect. Takes a real man to collect that rig, and want to fix em up. I owned a M890 for a short spell, and my friends wondered why I bought a 2wd military truck. Guess I just like Dodges.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome! :beer:

Nice stuff!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and nice collection. I love the M880 series and would love to have another. Sorry I ever sold my M887 contact maintenance truck.

MikePeters

Thanks guys ..My Wife and are Gov Contractors and run a Mess Hall close to West Point. Even though my Trucks are no longer "in the system" ..In a way it's funny how my MV's are still "on Duty" delivering food or supplies to the Troops long after they've retired.
We spoil our Troops ...is there any other way ? :D

As you can see ...Our Dessert Table is not exactly "regulation"

Attachments

TedG

Welcome aboard. Very nice motor pool you have, infact it looks like they are lined up for a parade! Also, that dessert arrangement makes me drool!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Beautiful trucks Mike! Welcome to the SS family. We are all a little sick in the head by the way ;) Glad to know our troops are spoiled a little sometimes. They deserve it!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike!

Mike is a great guy, I persoanlly know him. We often work close to West Point. I also use my MV to run about the same place, and I like getting the looks too!

MikePeters

emmado22 said:
Hey Mike!

Mike is a great guy, I persoanlly know him. We often work close to West Point.
Hi ya Mark !! So THIS is where you hang out huh ? :D
I bet you recognized the picture with the back of the Mess Hall ...

I'm a member of most of the "Militaria Collecting" Forums but was never really active on any of the MV Forums. Looks like you guys have a great Forum here ..and things are slowing down for us so , I'll be around .
If any of you are into WW2 War Souvenirs , let me know and I'll post a few shots of my room ...not sure if this is the right Forum for that though.

As I mentioned before , I'm doing a lot of work on my 880 right now ..I bought a "remanufactured" 318 from S&S Engines in Washington ($1600 delivered- 7 year Warr or 70k miles) I'm changing the Cab, Fenders & Doors ..it might (better) be a whole new Truck when I'm done.
I was never crazy about that 1970's Camo job they had and decided to put the current Camo pattern (Green/Brown/Black) on it. I just got the case of Paint in from Rapco today ...have any of you seen that style used on an 880 ? It should make it look a little newer (like a CUCV) and won't stick out as much on the Base.

Thanks for the Welcome guys :)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike:
Again I must say thanks and now with emphasis after seeing what you do for Soldiers. I know from experience a cook with a bad attitude can ruin a hot dog. I am in the middle of lots of training and the Reserve Soldiers that came in for it in my Movement section are doing a great job. I hope you can come to Aberdeen some time in the future for a rally as the dessert table would fit right in after Garbee's roast hog.

Thanks one more time for supporting the best Soldiers in the world

MikePeters

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Mike:
Again I must say thanks and now with emphasis after seeing what you do for Soldiers. I know from experience a cook with a bad attitude can ruin a hot dog. I am in the middle of lots of training and the Reserve Soldiers that came in for it in my Movement section are doing a great job. I hope you can come to Aberdeen some time in the future for a rally as the dessert table would fit right in after Garbee's roast hog.

Thanks one more time for supporting the best Soldiers in the world
Thanks David ...Lisa and I didn't plan on doing this , it just happened. My Wife and I own (owned) a small Restaurant , we closed the Restaurant after 9/11 when the local Base asked if we'd be willing to run the Mess Hall . Because of all the Troops headed for ground Zero , they didn’t want to activate a Mess Section and have the Unit leave and move on without them ...we were told by the State it would be for only a few weeks and we'd be doing our part to take care of the Troops ..so we closed , and we've been at it ever since... 7 days a week , 4 meals a day (incl midnight meals) for almost 6 years without a normal vacation ( we did finally take 3 days off about 4 months ago) ..

It hasn't been all fun though , dealing with the Gov has not been easy ..twice it's taken over a year to get paid and the Politics involved are unbelievable.The thing that keeps us going is knowing that what we are doing IS making a difference and the Soldiers DO appreciate everything . We get Emails from Iraq ..even had phone calls …they don’t forget and they make up for much of the grief.

The 258FA had a “Freedom Salute” Ceremony at York College when they came home. Colonel Jackson insisted Lisa and I attend …in front of 700 people , they presented us with the Bronze Minuteman Statue ..it’s a very high National Guard Award …that meant a lot to us

On a lighter note ….So far Lisa and I have sent quite a few – 800 gallon Swimming Pools to our NY Troops in Iraq ..the guys get a big kick out of it …and Regular Army can’t believe it when they see New Yorkers have Pools in the Desert !

Even though we can’t feed them over there …we can still take care of them in a way!
We feel like we're part of a really large Family ..and my Wife has "adopted" all of them !
We're so proud of our Troops .
--Mike

Attachments

MikePeters

Thanks Johnny , I think we're all lucky we have Wives that "put up" with this Hobby.
Glad you don't mind the original Army Surplus Rust :roll: ..My Trucks have a long way to go before they look as nice as some of the ones I've seen here :D

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Jeep second in line, looks like the model that MVM spot-lighted last issue. Sharp! Nice little sports car! Continue Mission!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks