• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Newbie with battery issues...Part 2...

FlakShrapnel

I've read through the majority of TMs regarding batteries and wiring harnesses. My situation at hand is my M923A2 batteries drain down within 4 days. A little juice left but not nearly enough to turn the engine over.

I bought original reconditioned batteries last week holding adequate charges each. I'm going to install a cutoff switch on the battery ground cable to limit electrical drainage until I can locate power source shortage.

What is the most common probable cause and the best starting point for attacking electrical issues beyond the obvious worn, broke, and corroded wiring...?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up, ignoring a request from a moderator is a big deal.

dmetalmiki

Depends on Which issue...the current one (scuse pun!) should be cured by isolating the batteries via a switch. as you are going to do. ( I personally isolate the positive terminal) Then make sure when parked and standing overnight you have not left a lighting switch in the blackout on position. As the switches don't lend themselves to "logical" switching. (off all)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What he said, killed some like that years ago. Besides cleaning all the grounds and connections is when the batteries have a full charge get them load tested. I got some a year ago that were "reconditioned" from a national supplier one of them turned out to be 13% and the other 23%. Also put a meter on the alt to check what it is putting out.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One way to find the drain is to first verify there really is a drain (tiny spark when you touch the terminal to the post), then systematically disconnect circuits and check for the spark each time. I bet your "original reconditioned batteries" (6TLMF?) are shot.

FlakShrapnel

Good information. I have cleaned and conducted maintenance before battery installment.

Half the original batteries from my M923A2 has major issues. Two of them had broke plates, the third was extremely low volts almost completely dead, and I could keep the forth, which was in reasonable condition registering 11.7 volts and a 2010 sticker on the side.

The three reconditioned batteries were pulled out of another M923A2. They were reconditioned two months earlier. The fellow I bought the reconditioned batteries in person accepted all three of my batteries as a core charge. He should have charged me two additional core charges. When asked he said "forget about it." We both metered all four batteries I was taking home. All of them registered 12.4 to 12.6 volts. I know batteries can be deceitful, but I believe the seller was genuine and showed competence about reconditioning battery.

This particular MV collector had refurbished and delivered Willie Robertson's new Duck Dynasty's MV which will appear this 2014 season.

I'm sure with all the wiring, connections, solenoids, and switches it could be 1 of a 1000 causing trouble, but if I have solid battery platform is there typical issues along the way past the battery that is problematic? I like to check the weak areas first after solving battery issue. I'm kinda leaning towards possible solenoid issues.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a battery load tester? Harbor Freight has one for $20. Not the highest quality but gets the job done. I have one and use it weekly.

When ever you are troubleshooting an electrical issue, without knowing the condition of your batterties you are just guessing. Always start with a fully charged and load tested battery.

Did the guy you got the batteries from tell you how he reconditioned them? Some people do stupid things to batteries to get them working again. They saw it on the Internet so it must work. Not saying he did but without asking we will never know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks