• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another no start

hoplite666

So I'm sitting here, trying to leave work. M1009 won't start.
No crank no catch. Just a nice click from the doghead relay. Also, the gen2 dummy light isn't glowing. No tools no flashlight. Probably tow it home and go from there.
oddly enough just had the front battery out on a trickle charger for giggles yesterday. Terminals seem tight.

Luckily off the next two days, unlucky though that my daily driver is also currently down for repair. Might have to take the motorcycle out. if I need to make a parts run. And their calling for snow. Fml

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First step is to check both batteries. Full charge and load tested. Winter is killing them left and right.

hoplite666

Actually blew the 30amp maxifuse I had installed in place of a previously melted fusible link going down from the power bank to the starter solenoid. I suppose this is why a fusible link with some flexibility is normally used there.

combat jump

Can't diagnose the problem, but I feel your pain. My M1028 has been in the driveway for two weeks until I could pull two stuck glow plugs. Its my daily driver, so I've been commuting by bike as well (Hayabusa). My problem was the resistor pack went bad, and led to a cascade failure of the glow plugs. I just completed the resistor bypass, so should not have that problem again. Keep searching here - someone has bound to have had the same problem you have.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He fixed it by replacing the fuse he installed before to replace a fusible link.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm. Fried a fusible link. Later, blew a fuse. There may be another problem lurking there.

Remember Bond's Adage: Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, third time is enemy fire. ;)

hoplite666

Well, the fusible link melted when I had a run on starter. Been a while ago now.
I can only speculate the fuse going out has something to do with all the extra flexing its been doing cranking this bad boy up on the mornings I don't have the block heater plugged in. New glow plugs in as of today so starting will surely be an easier process.