• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another No Voltage thread, MEP-003A

North Maine

I’ve read through several threads regarding MEP 003a no output voltage and my problem is very similar to several other posts- it worked great every time I used it until one day after charging up my batteries I get no output. The diagnostic steps for the transformers, in-line reactor, and voltage regulator, while tedious are something I can do when I have the the time.

My main concern is parts. It seems CVT1 is a very common source of these no output issues but I can’t find one anywhere. Am I not looking in the right places?

there are a few MEP-002a’s available locally, can I swap parts from one of those if I bought it for parts?

the parts availability for this generator sadly has me considering parting it out and finding an easier to maintain unit.

Ray70

Best thing to do is get in there and measure the CT and CVT-1 windings according to the TM.
If you find a problem, then you know what parts need replacing.
If CVT1 is bad I can sell you one of my spares.
But beware, make sure that's your problem because swapping out the CT/CVT assembly is a bit difficult, depending on if your AC select switch has nuts and bolts or tapped threads for the wire connections.

jamawieb

Unfortunately, parts are getting harder to find. CVT1 is very common to fail. I wish someone could either start making a new transformer or reconfigure the output box with simpler electronics.
I would first take off line 17 on your voltage regulator and start, if the set generates power that tells you that its the voltage regulator. After that, start checking transformers.
To answer your question, on the 002a boxes. They are exactly the same, but you will need to unwrap the power wires that go through the cvt and cvt1 transformer 2 times. More wraps make the breaker trip at around 8.5kw.

Guyfang

Staff member
I’ve read through several threads regarding MEP 003a no output voltage and my problem is very similar to several other posts- it worked great every time I used it until one day after charging up my batteries I get no output. The diagnostic steps for the transformers, in-line reactor, and voltage regulator, while tedious are something I can do when I have the the time.

My main concern is parts. It seems CVT1 is a very common source of these no output issues but I can’t find one anywhere. Am I not looking in the right places?

there are a few MEP-002a’s available locally, can I swap parts from one of those if I bought it for parts?
(Yes you can. But check the two parts manuals to make SURE that their the exact same parts. 98% are the same. But ALWAYS check.)

the parts availability for this generator sadly has me considering parting it out and finding an easier to maintain unit.

Chainbreaker

...I wish someone could either start making a new transformer or reconfigure the output box with simpler electronics.
/\ This!

Yeah, me too! I know a few years back member Rusty Stud cleaned out the Output Control Box on either a MEP-002a or -003a box and used a SX 460 AVR but didn't document the process other than listing some of the wire #'s.

There definitely is some "pent-up demand" for such a tested & documented retrofit kit. I would even keep a couple spares on the shelf at the ready in case a future failure ever showed up on any of my 5x herd of -002a's.

I already have a mouse damaged -002a Output Control Box sitting in garage, haven't looked into it, that I could gut & retrofit with a SX460 kit & bring it back into service.

mtfleming

/\ This!

Yeah, me too! I know a few years back member Rusty Stud cleaned out the Output Control Box on either a MEP-002a or -003a box and used a SX 460 AVR but didn't document the process other than listing some of the wire #'s.

There definitely is some "pent-up demand" for such a tested & documented retrofit kit. I would even keep a couple spares on the shelf at the ready in case a future failure ever showed up on any of my 5x herd of -002a's.

I already have a mouse damaged -002a Output Control Box sitting in garage, haven't looked into it, that I could gut & retrofit with a SX460 kit & bring it back into service.
I also would be interested in a retrofit for the output box. I definitely don’t know enough about electronics to design one. I have an MEP-002a that’s not producing power. I may need a CVT or CT not sure yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks