• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

another nv4500 thread

Atwater

looking to do a nv4500 swap in my m1008.
already have a round pattern np205(32 spline Chevy) and cross member that should work based off what i have seen in others build threads.

the one thing i have not been able to find is the difference between a 95 and 96 nv4500. i wonder because i have found mention of specifically getting a 96 while researching this harebrained idea.
or does it not matter unless you are also swapping in a 5.9 cummins? which may happen down the road:mrgreen:(already have one)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The chevy 95 model NV4500 has different gears, specifically first gear. The input shaft is different on it, and will not swap to the diesel inputs used in the dodges.

transman

95 and earlier chevy nv 4500s have an external slave cylinder and different bellhousing bolt pattern than later units which have a hydraulic throwout bearing setup. 96 up units can be adapted to cummins by changing the input shaft and front bearing retainer.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why are wanting a chevy input behind a cummins? Using dodge parts would be much simpler. (Cummins engine to dodge bellhousing adapter, Dodge "big block" to NV4500 bellhousing, Dodge diesel NV4500 input shaft [BTW, the dodge diesel input has a larger shaft], then use a dodge hydro setup and just use a hydro chevy clutch pedal)

And if you've got money to spare, you can also pick up a billet 1 3/8" input shaft and run a dual disc clutch in a dodge setup. You'll have a hard time breaking that input.

You'll also want to get a "5th gear nut kit" and do that before install. NV4500's are notorious for walking the 5th gear nut off the shaft and loosing OD.

I've got the special socket needed to remove/install the nut around here somewhere.

Atwater

the original idea was to put a nv4500 behind the 6.2 and then later on down the road possibly swap to the cummins.
currently i don't have the space to do the cummins swap but i believe i could do the trans swap in my drive way if i had to.
depending on how i liked the stick behind the 6.2 i might not bother with the cummins in this one

(i am aware of the spacer and may end up building that myself)

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
the original idea was to put a nv4500 behind the 6.2 and then later on down the road possibly swap to the cummins.
currently i don't have the space to do the cummins swap but i believe i could do the trans swap in my drive way if i had to.
depending on how i liked the stick behind the 6.2 i might not bother with the cummins in this one

(i am aware of the spacer and may end up building that myself)
IMHO, I wouldn't even bother with the swap behind a 6.2. A NV4500 behind a 6.2 would be an improvement over a TH400. But a cummins/NV4500 would be leaps and bounds better. I know I'm not making friends here with that statement. But I've owned 6.2's and 5.9's. There's just no comparison.

Atwater

yes the cummins would be best:drool: (im not that worried about originality on this one)
i was hoping to drive to Colorado some time this summer and no overdrive+ 4.56 is not going to cut it.
unless a miracle happens and i end up with heated shop space close to home i don't think ill be able to do the cummins any time soon.

last but not least my car could die any time and it would be good if my second vehicle was not out of commission for very long when that happens:mrgreen:

Croatan_Kid

You'll definitely need the 96 & up 4500 for a Cummins swap. If you use a GM NV4500, there's really no worry of the 5th gear nut falling off so much as if you used a Dodge. Even less if you get a GM Diesel version with the big damper on the 5th gear shaft. Parts don't interchange between early GM and later GM/Dodge. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse gears are all different.

Also, a 4500 and a 205 WILL bolt directly together. You need to swap a short input in the 205 and mill a slot in the tailhousing of the trans to clear the shift rail. However, I would use the spacer. It gives you extra front driveshaft length and I'm still using my stock front shaft.

A stock 700R4/NP208 crossmember will work, you just need to elongate the mounting holes where the transmission mount sits.

taildragger03

Here is some homework for you:

www.nv4500.com/http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain

/131_0705_1986_chevy_1_ton_5_speed_manual_transmission_swap/index.html

NV4500 Replacement Transmissions General Information

clutch pedals - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I am in the process of the same swap. These websites contain a lot of the information you are searching for. Note: read up on the major differences between early and late NV4500's. If you are planning on going with the Cummins 6bt in the future, go with a 1996 and up.
***Another important note: If you find an NV4500, get the serial # from it and check it with the above sites. This number can be found on top of the transmission by the shifter tower. It is just a sticker basically. If it cannot be located, measure the input shaft bearing retainer diameter and the bell housing mounting holes and compare to the dimensions in the above sites.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks