• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another one up and running!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had another good day at the Museum yesterday. Got the M901 Tow Missile Launcher ready for a trip for the show "Lock and Load". Replaced some glass, got the launcher up and working, got the IC working and we saw something under the paint on the LH and RH front of the unit. Did some light sanding and found a rat! Looked kinda cool, so one of the guys that is an ex Canadian football player and a very good freehand artist brought it back to life. There are also two rectangle areas at the rear LH and RH sides that have something under them, but we'll wait 'till after the shoot to see what they are. This is one of the units I rebuilt the track tensioners on. This unit is a fairly new unit...1983. Runs sweet!

Attachments

combat32

The first vehicle I ever commanded was an ITV, I went to Hotel school and was ITV qualified in 1983 after basic and AIT, the hammerhead is hard to maintain and keep operational, it was a stop gap vehicle, until the Bradley came on line, I used to curse mine on a regular basis, I would still love to have one though, let me know if you are looking for any ITV specific parts, I have access to some and would be glad to help out.

LanceRobson

To paraphrase Mark Twain's 19th century observation on lawyers, "What do you call 10,000 M901s at the bottom of the ocean?.....A good start!"

Combst32 has obviously spent some time around the pigs.

Too top heavy and slow to keep up with the M113s, unable to hack the rough terrain and track divots to support the M1s, only survivable in over watch so the maneuver forces outran them and they couldn't catch up and the electro-hydraulics must have been designed by a Soviet spy!

That said, I'm glad you saved one. I'd enjoy working on any M113 varient again.

When we got our first batch of these I was the "Maintenance and Service Section Sergeant" for a mechanised infantry battalion. We had been authorized two turret machanics for six months or so in anticipation of the arrival of the M901s but because we hadn't yet got the ITVs (Improved TOW Vehilces) the school wasn't funded. Gotta love military logic!

Then we got a no-notice call to be at the rail head and fresh from Red River Army Depot, 24 of the beasties got de-trained and driven to the motor pool.

The rifle company anti-armor sections and the anti-armor company, who had been trying to support the M113s and M1s with M151 mounted TOWs and modfied M113s with a funky kind of shrapnel awning to protect the gunner were frothing at the mouth to get thier clean and "new car" smelling toys.

We had to perform the "Service on Receipt" before issuing the ITVs to the eventual owners and conducting the new equipment training (NET) and didn't have a clue where to begin.

I unpacked the components of one of our brand new turret mechanic's tool sets (we had those but no 45T Turret Mechanics.... go figure!), grabbed my sharpest wrench turner along with the -24P manual and headed out to the line of ITVs.

We climbed into one and started. Talk about the blind leading the blind!

Step 43, "Verify the function of the launcher left limit slew switch" or some such.

All-righty then....open the correct book of the -24P set, look for the appropriate exploded diagram, find out what the little bugger was bolted to and what it looked like, contort yourself into a kinky looking yoga position to be able to see the durn thing and stick the feeler gauge in.

What a hell of a way to make a living!

Needless to say the first few vehicles were painful to get out of our hands and on to the companies they were going to.

Overall, it was a great way to learn because we had no choice but to do things "by the book" and learn where every screw, connector, detent and switch was.

Not long after we finished the NET, the Army had several thousand TOW missles that were in storage and approaching the end of thier shelf life. The choices were to shoot them or destroy them due to deteriorting rocket motors. They had had a few launch motors burst and decided that for safety reasons they could only be launched from armored lauchers.

We were the only unit in the eastern US that had ITVs fielded (or nearly so) so we shot so durn many missles that we got sick of it.

If we could get a firing point for a day, the post ammunition supply point would release as many missles as the battalion wanted to "put on the wire" Hell, the Chaplain and the cooks shot a few.

The misery of walking all the way to the targets to reel up the control wires (very thin, hung up off the ground by the vegitation, and a safety hazard to any one walking or driving in the "manuever box" on the range) is vivid in my memory.

I hadn't thought about all this in years. "Tanks for the memories"

Lance

dittle

When is the Gunny and crew showing up at your museum? Tell them Dan and the rest Fort Snelling Military Museum guys say HI.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When is the Gunny and crew showing up at your museum? Tell them Dan and the rest Fort Snelling Military Museum guys say HI.
R.Lee or Rossi? :wink: Rossi is there all the time, R. Lee will be at the shoot in the Pendleton area Thursday, Friday and maybe a few other days. Hopefully, so will I!

combat32

emmado, those aren't ITV at the NTC they are OSV, this is a new purpose built Opfor vehicle to replace all the old Sheridan's, it is based on a 113 chasis. The greatest thing I remember bout the ITV was being warm in the winter, because of all the hydrualics you were deadlined if your heater was inop, so they pretty much kept the heaters working in the winter. And everyone else hated us for it:-DWait till you break an erection chain on the hammerhead one day and it falls flat on the deck, I remember that being a lot of fun!

LanceRobson

Wait till you break an erection chain on the hammerhead one day and it falls flat on the deck, I remember that being a lot of fun![/quote]

I'd forgotten about that particular joy, too. Maybe protective amnesia?

The first time we got to the TM entry to cut some of 4x4 timber to XX" and prop up the hammerhead to remove the chain covers and inspect or work on the erection mechanism that raised a few eyebrows.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks