• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another post regarding brake fluid

AttentionDeficit

No, I am not going to argue about which brake fluid is better!

I did want to share that I, being an idiot newbie to the world of MVs, mixed fresh DOT 4 with the existing DOT 5 in my M215 four months ago. The story is pretty simple, I needed to replace the two wheel cylinders on the right front because they were froze. I refilled the mater cylinder and bled the system, all the while wondering why the fluid at the top of the master cylinder looked funny, something like oil and water... A week later, it finally hit me. Someone may still use DOT 5!

I was pissed at myself for such an error, but never made the time to flush the system. I still haven't. I must say, though, the brakes are getting progressively better in terms of feel. Almost like the DOT 4 is helping to "free up" the air pack and some of the other cylinders.

I am quite certain that I will now have to go through all of the brake cylinders and lines this winter, but I can report that brake fluid sludge armageddon has not happened yet after three months of driving. Rather, the opposite.

On this last note, has anyone had problems (or successes) with refurbished (brass or stainless sleeved) wheel cylinders on these old trucks? I have had wheel cylinders/calipers for other vehicles sleeved with good results (no new pitting or seizing when used with DOT 3/4.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fluid Compatibility

Not quite as bad as dumping motor oil into the brake system which pulls the inside of the rubber off everything and plugs lines. Sounds like you might have something similar going on. 78 civi chev learned the reason behind the Material Safety Data System. MSDS

This link gives us info on the differences and contamination process.
Brake Fluid Basics

This page gives us advantages and disadvantages of the various fluids.
brake fluids

Never re-built a cylinder because they're still available. I've put enough City miles on my M135 to know that brake failure is not an option. I wouldn't drive it without 100% confidence that I've done everything to insure that it's 100% capable.

Good luck with it and let us know the results when you get to tear it down. Might not be too bad and lots of girls like a little extra silicone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks