• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another question on lock rings

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a lock ring that the stupid tire guy bent a bit out of shape (opened up a bit) when he was dismounting the rims from a set of Commando rims. Can this be fixed or put back into shape? The reason I ask is that the lock ring is a bit larger than the standard 2.5 or 5 ton lock ring. i'd like to save this one.

Thanks
Jaosn

Special T

Depends on how bad. You got a pic? What rim size is it? Lock rings that are bent so that the break in the lock ring looks more like a "c" are much harder to fix than if it was just sprung a little too much one side or the other.

Lock rings are wrecked by those who are impatient.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I routinely bend lock rings back into shape that are too spiraled. You have to bend it way past where you want it so when it snaps back it will be in the right spot. So in your case, introduce a spiral, put one end of the ring in a huge vise, pull the other end with vise grips etc, until the C is overclosed, so it snaps back with about a 1/8 gap. Then remove the spiral.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy cow how did he do that!!!?? I wonder if that ring is the same as the larger ring used on bridge truck wheels. I have some of those.

Special T

No you can't fix that. That is what happens when you get in a hurry. Military lock rings are stronger because they have that deep flange, however you need to beat the bead down farther. Military style rings are harder to find and are NOT interchangeable with any other style.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks