• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another solution to Non-returning/non-resetting windhield wiper arms

86M10086.2L

If you are like me and the windshield wipers on your truck operate properly in all other functions but simply don't return or self park when shut off. Give this a try. In my case simply cleaning the outside electrical connections or checking grounds didn't work. I started by taking the connectors off the motor assembly, popped off the dust cover. Removed the parking switch/washer switch assembly from the top of the wiper motor. (look for a small plastic tab on right side of the assembly next to the coil) Cleaned the "points" style contacts on the back of the switch. Mine had some builup/oxidation on it. This is what actually controls the park function. That contact runs along a ramp on the wiper motor gear and stops the wipers when they return to the parked position after being turned off via the switch on the steering column. I also took this time to clean the assemlby up. Removing all the caked up and dried up grease (which can also be a cause of this failure), checking spring tensions, and giving a thorough cleaning of all the contacts. Re-assembled in the reverse order and your done. Please note, that if you don't reset the windshield washer switch to the neutral position on the plastic cam/drum located underneath the switch assembly. (by putting the metal arm on the front of the drum face. Your gonna go through one complete cycle of the windshield washer. This procedure worked well for me and may work for you also. It's free, takes very little time 20-30 minutes tops and didn't require buying a new motor assembly. Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks