• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another source for the new multifuel head gaskets

SP5

Way at the bottom of the anouncment;" *The military product lines are not included in the sale represented by the M151, D198ER, D298ER and LDT engine lines".

JasonS

Last edited:

JasonS

Way at the bottom of the anouncment;" *The military product lines are not included in the sale represented by the M151, D198ER, D298ER and LDT engine lines".
Sure, but is anyone buying those engine lines? I would bet that they are circling the drain. What most may not realize is that the feds have made diesel engine production and sales VERY expensive. I have a good friend who is a disty for a line of diesel engines and you wouldn't believe that paperwork, engine cost, and fed controls. I believe he said that old engine cores have to be destroyed; not allowed to be rebuilt. Makes me wonder if the feds are forcing old engines out by pushing oems to stop support. The hercules is not the only engine affected.

JasonS

Based on what I've read, "Gaskets to go" would be the first place I'd check. They will also make one-off MLS but I suspect that the block surface may be too rough.

firedog104

Source for head gaskets

A recent discussion here was centered on finding a new source for head gaskets. Was there ever a consensus on where to find them? I developed an oil leak from one of the heads and will be doing this soon but don't know where to find them anymore. Anyone have any for sale or an idea where to get them?

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged threads as there is no need to start a new one when this has just been discussed.

Call the big vendors or the guy in post #30

welldigger

A thought I have been mulling over is having custom copper head gaskets made modeled after the new style o.e.m gasket. One of the companies I found appears to be able to integrate stainless steel fire rings into the gasket. This is supposed to eliminate the need for installing o rings in the head or block. Another company I found made flat stainless o rings to glue in place. Also eliminating the need to cut grooves in the head for stainless wire o rings.

What are the pros and cons of going this route? I have been researching this subject extensively and some swear by copper head gaskets while others loathe them. Seems the most common complaints are coolant seepage. While others claim no leaking at all while putting stupid high boost into their engines.

Keep in mind I have no intentions to up the performance of my engine other than maybe turning the fuel up a bit. I'm just looking for a more durable gasket. At the moment my head gaskets are fine. However I'm sure at some point one will eventually blow.

rustystud

A recent discussion here was centered on finding a new source for head gaskets. Was there ever a consensus on where to find them? I developed an oil leak from one of the heads and will be doing this soon but don't know where to find them anymore. Anyone have any for sale or an idea where to get them?

Thanks
I called the manufacturer and they said they sold the last lot to "TNJ Murray" . I called them up and they want $80.00 each. So that's $160.00 to do your heads.

rustystud

I like the idea of Stainless rings in the gasket. Not only would they hold the pressure better, but they would not rot-out over time. I've seen head gaskets that failed due to the ring rusting away.

welldigger

Another feature advertised is they can make the copper gasket thicker to compensate for over milled heads and valve clearance issues. They also state that this can be done to lower compression. I'm sure at 22:1 compression in the multi fuel this would be marginal at best. However, since I only run strait diesel in my truck lowering the compression even just a little bit may (emphasis on "may") increase reliability a tad by not stressing the heads and gasket as much without sacrificing much if any noticeable performance.

Again, I am purely speculating. Copper gaskets are also reusable as long as they aren't kinked anywhere. They don't displace or deform like a standard gasket will. If head gaskets truly do become hard to come by this feature alone could be a huge benefit to multi fuel owners.

jatonka

I may be mistaken but I don't think anyone has mentioned M35 Tom in this thread, He makes the latest version of the M/F head gaskets and is as reasonable as possible on price. My customers buy his head gaskets and other people's head sets with the old head gaskets in them whenever I do valve jobs or head gasket replacements for them. His handle is M35 Tom on Steel Soldiers, he has a wealth of knowledge on deuces and 3053 transmissions too. JT