• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another spinon primary filter install

dabtl

Finally got around to installing this setup as BillW designed. Really slick!
My only complaint was the drain plug on the bottom of the filter. As it's designed, if you open it with pressure in the system, fuel sprays out SIDEWAYS. It's an odd thread size/pitch.
Was able to run an old 1/8" pipe tap into the fitting & install a drain valve. Works fine.
Thanks again, Bill!
All those filters with the plastic plug have a groove on the side to allow the fluids to drain without removing the plug entirely. Under pressure it squirts to the side. I bought a brass drain fitting to replace it. Turn the handle, drain the filter and the fluids go straight down into an old coffee can. Cost a couple of dollars or so at Ace Hardware.

I used the jatonka adapter because of the ease of installation, I did not have to drill anything and it took about five minutes to install. A bit more expensive but worth it to me.

Anything you do, however, to replace those old rusty stock filter cans will aid your engine life.

Do not forget to give the fuel tank a dose of bacteria and slime killer once a year to keep that clean also.

Bill W

"Closest replacement I found was the Wix 24309 "

Not a good choice
The flow is in the wrong direction so you'd have to do some repiping

Smokinyoda

"Closest replacement I found was the Wix 24309 "

Not a good choice
The flow is in the wrong direction so you'd have to do some repiping
Thanks Bill, I had not noticed the flow direction was wrong. Will keep looking then.

Even filter1.com is out of stock of the 24770.

Found this one made by Donaldson, for $25 shipped. All thread sizes are the same just may have to get creative with mounting it.
http://www.filtermaxx.com/products/P562261.html

Last edited:

Bill W

Don't know if its availible but the wix 24764 should work also, it takes a 3/4-16 thread fuel filter but other then that it should be the same ( boltup wise)

Farmun

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone this past Monday with my NAPA store looking for a filter mount. The 4770 is no longer available from them (at least he said he couldn't get one). The 4764 is close but as mentioned above it has different filter threads. They can get that one.

pjvargas

Filter threads

Excellent thread on this issue. I got the filter mount NAPA 4770 (WIX 24770) and the filter NAPA 3405 (WIX 33405) from my local NAPA store (both in stock) and installed them per this post and it came out great!
I called the WIX technical support line; the filter blueprints show the threads on the filter drain plug are 1/8-27 STRAIGHT threads NOT 1/8-27 tapered National Pipe Thread (NPT). 1/8-27 straight threads are not a standard thread size (neither National Coarse or National Fine). I guess that's why a 1/8-27 NPT drain plug won't fit on the filter without the filter being re-tapped for it.

mhb285

Did mine yesterday. Started right up. 1 small drip from input line. Fixed.
Paid $29 delivered for the unit, $22.50 for filter 33405 at NAPA. One trip to "Hose-Man" $17, in La Mirada for relpacement fitting I crushed trying salvage. + gas $30.... Not bad for $99.00.....;)

g2065g

usafilterstore.com seems like they have good prices on the stock filters and on the parts to switch to the spin on filters.

I realize the post is old but in searching for information I found this thread useful and figured a bump wouldn't hurt.

oddshot

usafilterstore.com seems like they have good prices on the stock filters and on the parts to switch to the spin on filters.

I realize the post is old but in searching for information I found this thread useful and figured a bump wouldn't hurt.
Got a link to the parts?

I tried their search function but it didn't bring anything up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks