• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Sprag Newbie Question

Rebelpride

I am now the owner of a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with a sprag transfer case. I have used the search function and read most of the posts, here are my questions.

1: I wanted to bob the truck but cant use lockout hubs with a sprag, because the sprag will be engaged all the time, correct?

2: Does anyone still sell a kit to convert the sprag to an air shift?

3: How much does an air shift transfer case cost? Are trade-ins allowed?

4: How often and how hard is it to adjust the sprag linkage?

I was wanting a 4wd deuce with free spinning front hubs to free up some mileage so my thinking is the sprag puts a kink in that plan. Am I wrong? I look forward to your replies.

FSBruva

1 - Correct - and if, heaven forbid, one side of your front axle stopped completely, then the other one would be driven TWICE as fast by the sprag. No thanks!

2 - No such kit, really, because there are so many parts that are different. Easier to get a new case. There used to be a REB kit that would put another handle in the cab, and you could manually control the front axle engagement. Memphis still has them on their website, so who knows. Last I knew, they weren't carrying them any more.

3 - airshift case is advertised at easternsurplus is $750 and alfaheaven for 600.

4 - the deuce manual doesn't have a specific frequency of maintenance on the sprag. The manuals you want are TM 9-2520-246-34 and -34-1. They cover most everything for the adjustment. I guess you don't have to work on it until it breaks!

I don't think anyone has really put together hard data on how much mileage you save from putting on the locking hubs (like maybe 1 mpg?). With fuel costs up now, though, maybe there's a chance. Cheaper to just get a spare set of axle flanges and have the splines turned smooth for long road trips.

Also, with the sprag unit, when changing direction, you MUST go from reverse to first gear. If you don't the sprag will never change the front axle's direction, and that will help it break sooner.

Matt

JasonS

Re: RE: Another Sprag Newbie Question

FSBruva said:
Also, with the sprag unit, when changing direction, you MUST go from reverse to first gear. If you don't the sprag will never change the front axle's direction, and that will help it break sooner.

Matt
This is incorrect.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air shift t-cases are around 250-350 . Just do the swap. It will take a day to do it if you are bacanicaly aclined. The only other thing you'll need to add is the switch/light and some air plumbing.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Re: RE: Another Sprag Newbie Question

JasonS said:
FSBruva said:

Matt
This is incorrect.
I'd like more info on that Jason. What is incorect?

JasonS

RE: Re: RE: Another Sprag Newbie Question

You do not need to shift through first to get the shift from the reverse sprag to the front sprag. As soon as you pass through neutral, the change has been made. If going into first did something special, it would be undone as soon as you went back through neutral.

Bill W

FS
I know on the 5 ton you have to go from reverse to first for it to engage the sprag but NOT on the deuce., The only thing with the sprag on the deuce is if it won't disengege you put it in reverse and back up a few feet to help it unlock.
Also there was a Modification kit ( NSN-2520-00-113-8049 ) advertised on e-bay ( $365.00 ) to change a sprage to airshift But everything I've read here has said this process can't be done without taking the transfer case completly apart.

Rebelpride

Will,
Where can I find a Tcase for 250-350?

I read past posts and think I understand how the sprag works(kinda like a limited slip diff?), but if its not a lot of money I would like the assurance of locking the front end in before I entered a situation, instead of when I'm in the situation.

JasonS

I don't think that the sprag is a bad design. It is just that the sprags wear out leading to its poor reputation.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got one out here for 300, has a bit of an oi leak after 600 miles, but it is easy to fix.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sprag t-case is worthless. Call John Winslow in NC (252-883-2509)...he'll have an airshift t-case.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
HIJACK!!!
sorry, as long as we are discussing it,

I'm in need of 2 airshift cases.......anyone near Las Cruces, NM? I'll drive 500 miles or so one way to get them.....

I have a sprag that won't adjust/engage, and an airshift that comes out of high range as you shift up through the gears....

FSBruva

Back on topic....

JasonS said:
FSBruva said:

Matt
This is incorrect.
I think you corrected me on this once before... it just didn't stick - sorry about that.

Looking at the manual for sprag adjustment, http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6413&highlight=sprag
there is a little piece that is labeled part 1 in frame 2 of the forward link adjustment... does that piece swivel to allow the shift linkage (from tranny) to move forward when the transmission is put into first, but not pull on the reverse linkage of the transfer case? Also, on page 4-26 of the -34 transmission manual, figure 4-39 shows an exploded view of the front output shaft... is this diagram oriented such that the most forward part of the front output shaft is on the left? I just want to make sure I get it.

How about this: Would it be correct to say that if the sprag has a weak/broken "return to forward" spring inside the case, shifting into first would be necessary?

Matt

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
FSBruva said:
Back on topic....

JasonS said:
FSBruva said:

Matt
This is incorrect.
I think you corrected me on this once before... it just didn't stick - sorry about that.

Looking at the manual for sprag adjustment, http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6413&highlight=sprag
there is a little piece that is labeled part 1 in frame 2 of the forward link adjustment... does that piece swivel to allow the shift linkage (from tranny) to move forward when the transmission is put into first, but not pull on the reverse linkage of the transfer case? Also, on page 4-26 of the -34 transmission manual, figure 4-39 shows an exploded view of the front output shaft... is this diagram oriented such that the most forward part of the front output shaft is on the left? I just want to make sure I get it.

How about this: Would it be correct to say that if the sprag has a weak/broken "return to forward" spring inside the case, shifting into first would be necessary?

Matt
Was it that far off topic?...........

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
FSBruva said:
Hahaha... no, not really. You just announced you were hijacking, so I was announcing i wasn't. No big deal.

Matt
Cool,

BTW I still need 2 airshift t-cases.........

LOL

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
..... a little piece that is labeled part 1 in frame 2 of the forward link adjustment... does that piece swivel ..........?
No, #1 is firmly attached to TC reverse shift shaft.

...figure 4-39 shows an exploded view of the front output shaft... is this diagram oriented such that the most forward part of the front output shaft is on the left?
No, forward is on the right side.

G.