• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another start relay option

davo727

This is a borg warner BWD S5049 lifetime warranty relay from oreillys. $24.99 + tax, it is a starter relay for a 97 Ford F350 diesel.

Connect the purple with white stripe wire to the S terminal. The small black ground wire is connected to the case ground of the relay with the bracket attach bolt.

I also crimped in another wire in with the ground that I ran to a ground lug on the inside of the firewall near the base of the steering column.

Do not connect anything to the terminal marked ( I ) on the relay or bad things will happen .

Red Power in to the B terminal, purple power out to M terminal.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That relay looks like it overhangs the mounting bracket, were you able to mount it back in its original location?

I just thought of an easy way to remember the part number for those of us who remember "Hee-Haw" - call BR549! Just got to remember it a little different: call BWDS5049... Anyway, I tried.
I called O'Reilly's and they quoted me a price of $19.99 for it since I have a business account with them, which is pretty easy to get. It doesn't usually make a difference in price for the items found out on the sales floor, but for the items behind the counter, the savings adds up. All one has to do is make up a business name and tell them you will give them exclusive business for your jobber items. They didn't even ask for a copy of my business license, even though I asked if they wanted one, so it is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Just did this mod last night and was very impressed with the difference in sound of the starter turning over. It might be my imagination - kind of a placebo effect, but it sure seems to engage faster and spin quicker. Only thing I noticed was the "12V" stamped on the base plate of this relay. Hope this doesn't mean it should not be used in 24V applications.

Power Giant

Thanks for this very helpful advice. It's great to have additional parts sources. We run a working fleet of 9 CUCV's. I've been getting the starter relays directly from the GM dealer, at a cost of $25.37. That's a fleet price though. The normal price is $36.24. In case anyone's interested, the GM part # is: 15591718.

davo727

The 12V refers to the coil in it that activates the relay, the load side transmits the 24V and lt shouldnt care about 12 or 24 volts- 24v should actually be easier on the relay than 12.

Just did this mod last night and was very impressed with the difference in sound of the starter turning over. It might be my imagination - kind of a placebo effect, but it sure seems to engage faster and spin quicker. Only thing I noticed was the "12V" stamped on the base plate of this relay. Hope this doesn't mean it should not be used in 24V applications.

Contacts rated 12v @ X amps should be able to handle 24V @ 2X amps.

True, you don't want to give her 24vdc to the solenoid.

I think I saw all of that written on the bathroom wall once....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks