• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Starter question..........

kcbbqguru

I've had my m1009 for a couple of years. one of the first things I did was replace the starter, with a gear reduction type, don't know if it was manufactured? worked good up until Friday. Thursday morning was a 34 degrees in the morning and it took some cranking to start. Fri I was off so I thought I would go ahead and change out the glow plugs. Got the new ones in and it fired up like brand new!! I cleaned up the old truck , tucked some wires from my doghead starter mod. I went to start her up again no crank what so ever! Is it time for a new starter again? did I wear out the old one?

MarcusOReallyus

If you " tucked some wires from my doghead starter mod" it's possible you messed something up there, and didn't notice it. I would double check that before anything else.

Maybe a wire or a connector was brittle, and moving it to tuck it up was the last straw. Could be hidden, too, so use a meter to make sure you have voltage where you expect it.

If you want to be sure that it's the starter, try jumping the starter directly.

Keith_J

The first thing I noticed after swapping out the relay in the DH mod was the very loud click when it engaged. That is a good signal the relay is working so if you don't hear it, check that.

The Bendix drive relay on the starter is the other issue that can go wrong. Best to pull the starter to check. 24 volt starters and especially the gear reduction units are much more reliable since the current draw is much less.

kcbbqguru

The first thing I noticed after swapping out the relay in the DH mod was the very loud click when it engaged. That is a good signal the relay is working so if you don't hear it, check that.

The Bendix drive relay on the starter is the other issue that can go wrong. Best to pull the starter to check. 24 volt starters and especially the gear reduction units are much more reliable since the current draw is much less.
Yea, I am getting a loud click,
auawhat's the best way to get a screw driver on the solenoid?
I tried from bottom of the truck but the exhaust manifold is in the way?

sierrajcharlie

Just because you hear the click doesn't mean it's working. I speak from experience. If you have the suggested relay from Napa, reach up there and see if you can wiggle any of the posts. I had a witch of a time figuring out my issue. Turn the key and the loud click, but no joy. Repeatedly. Found a fuseable link had finally given out. Now it would start, a couple of weeks later it started acting up again. Voltages at starter correct. New starter, (shop said it looked like it had low voltage supplied to it, past rebuilding, another story) still would occasionally do it. Grounded the engine better, still would do it occasionally. I was getting ready to get a new cable to the starter and run a wire from relay to solenoid. Then decided not to take for granted that the relay was working right. All the posts were loose when I reached in there. Put in a new relay and this time put in the recommended diode and so far so good. It doesn't "click" nearly as loud as the other one ever did. Hoping it's finally fixed. My2cents

Last edited:

kcbbqguru

Well, I took the wires apart and the glow plug relay, and it started up! Now the battery is not charging?? I had the electronic gremlins.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks