• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another starter thread

underdog

Well i have been following all the other starter threads.
Mine took a weird twist today.
To start:
1> Mine burned up a starter.
2> I replaced it. It burned up the new starter solenoid, the relay and some wiring at 24volt firewall junctions.
3> Replaced the starter, the relay, repaired the wiring.
All was well for a week. Today the fourth start out of about seven it hung to starter engaged. Turned the key off still cranking turn the key back on.
Think fast- faster!
Ok the relay is by my knee i reach down to try and unplug but only managed to molest it, The truck starts with starter engaged and runs a little bit then the starter disengages.
Freak occurrence?
I have a problem?
Pulling the dash relay should kill the starter if it does it again?
Heck i am lost now.
Think i will pull the relay down to where i can unplug it easier.
Any ideas
I am taking it on a 1200 mile trip tomorrow with this truck :lol: .
Man this has me worried.

Bobert

Mine did something like this. My relay is hanging down, but I also put in a cutoff switch on the battery for easy access.
First, Is your generator light on? If so, check for brocken wires between the gen 1 and the firewall. Some of those wires are important for starting purposes.

After mine did this, more problems were soon to follow so If possible you might not want to take it on a long trip, or at least go prepared.

underdog

Never had any shims on this truck.
But now that you mention it.
Bobert: What other problems arose?
No other problems i can find.
Just weird.

JohnFire

Mine has never had shims either. Used to have problems with the 24V starters skipping gears, but the 12V on has never done that. I have had the started stick once and that was it.

Bobert

Well since my starter relay acted up,

I had a couple fusable links go out. which made it so I couldn't start it.
A while later, the starter seemed to not engage or disengage or something. so I took it off and on and that did the trick.
Now, the fuse that runs my lights keeps burning out.

My problems may not be related to the starter though.
I think the consensus is that I have a grounding problem.

You could be safe though. Hopefully

Goatwerks

I have found and shimmed many while working at GM dealers before recently retiring, including my (now gone )83 Blazer. Without a shim, the gear would lock to the flywheel.
Just my experience.
Not all rebuilds are machined the same :shock:

wyliek

my starter requires shims or it will not disengage. I replaced battery cables, checked and rechecked all connections and SHIMS were the fix

underdog

Ok
We are learning new things.
I did not get to take it on the trip :(
Got to town and Gen1 light was very faintly on; turn the headlights on and it brightens to about 1/4 illuminated.
So i guess it is back to wiring -- check to see if it needs a shim.
Or just move it over to the parts row and start on another :roll:

Armada

What did you replace the starter relay with? Don't skimp on this part.Does the molested relay wiring have a short perhaps? What are you replacing the starter/solenoids with, new, rebuilts, used? Is your system still 24V or has it been converted to 12v?

underdog

Brand new 24volt starter after the first to deaths. The starting system is unmolested 24Volt. Used an AC 40 relay.
The glow plug system has been hacked and wacked; it was working off a momentary switch but i think it has died also.
Oh well parts is parts...Cancer got this one; It was going to be retired anyway.
Was hoping i could make it a bit farther though.

Side note.
I saw the otherday they where recomending the public service auctions.
This one came from a local county; Them people have no clue and do not care. they just rip - strip - hack - then dump it when they feel it no longer will serves there purpose. Around here i think they get them for free. Once nice older military iron just abused and abandoned (they might take them out once a year for a drug bust)everywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks