• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another stuck starter relay

bbqfan5909

Fellas,

I wanted some opinions from yall...My starter relay stuck the other day (first time since I owned it and have started it about 100 times). Would yall recommend replacing the stock relay first or should I do the "doghead starter relay modifcation)? With the modifcation, I read where you will need a diode as well, does it not just work with just the replacement 200amp relay?

Thanks,

Casey

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not NEED the diode, it is an improvement. It is not required.

trooper632

I have replaced mine about 10 times, dont know why. new batteries, good cables and grounded well, now it will not turn over all of a sudden. tested the starter it is good, starter relay justclicks everytime i turn the key. almost ready to just push it off the cliff.

Buckmaw

After reading almost all the post on the CUCV section, I have a list of the following I am going to do once my EUC clears and I pick up my truck.

I am going to convert to 100% 12VDC system
12v reduction gear starter
Put in upgraded starter relay
Upgrade the starter solenoid
Manual control of the glow plug system (push button with light) bypassing the controller card.
Replace the fuel filter with a screw on type.
Install brace under steering box.
Install aux transmission cooler.
Cold air intake w/ K&N air filter

I plan on using it in very remote locations for weeks at a time so it being reliable will be very important with me.
I dont want to plan my trip by checking to see how many spare glow plug controller cards I need. Besides, I'm in
south central texas and the glow plugs on my F250 dont run a whole lot as it is...

By correcting or bypassing known problems is just smart in my book...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mod doghead came up with has worked out well on my 1028. No more problems. as far as the glow plugs go. It should start in round rock without them. Unless it's winter time. The glow plugs are usally reliable. With a good realy and plugs, the card will give you years of good service.

bbqfan5909

With dogheads mod, do you have the diode installed as well?? What does that do for you? Mine will need to start in cold or hot, its a lease vehicle...

mistaken1

I put a 35A SPST switch in the 24V line from the starter relay to the starter solenoid to use as an emergency disconnect if the relay sticks closed. I have tested it while cranking the motor and it does indeed stop the starter motor. I have not measured the actual current flow through the 24V line while the starter is cranking but I would not think it would be that much as it is only a #12 wire.

If the switch is out of sight but still relatively accessible it will act as a theft deterrent device (motor will not turn over without flipping the disconnect switch on).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buckmaw, by converting your vehicle to a 12 volt only, system, you will eliminate the need for the under-dash relay. (you will need to remove it and add a jumper, or cut off the plug and connect the 2 purple wires)

84cucv1ton, here's Bjorns post on the diode( not need, just one more level of improvement) http://www.steelsoldiers.com/384247-post9.html

bbqfan5909, there is no direct replacement higher capacity relay availible, that is why I chose to replace it with one that was 5 times the capacity.(but needs some adaptation) And no, the diode is not needed(see above comment)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks