• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another tire question

Texas Diesel

Is it OK to use 10x20 tubes in the 1100x20 Goodyear Tires. Tire guy i just talked to said that was what he was used to using. The 1100x20 tires will be on the stock Deuce rims, which are 9x20, correct? or wrong? :-?Thanks

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it OK to use 10x20 tubes in the 1100x20 Goodyear Tires. Tire guy i just talked to said that was what he was used to using. The 1100x20 tires will be on the stock Deuce rims, which are 9x20, correct? or wrong? :-?Thanks

I run 11R20 tubes in my 11R20 tires.
The right way to go!
He likely does not have 11's and wants to sell what he has. The 10's might be "old" stock also.
Tire guy is a salesman.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

Im sure there are bigger sizes that would work, and some smaller sizes that would fit. Just like there are suitable substitutes for just about everything on an MV...nuts, bolts, oils, seals, tires etc. . In my experience though, Ive come to the conclusion that the sizes specified in the TM's or listed on the rims, and rubber themselves were put there for a good reason by the smart people who designed them. So 99% of the time, I use whats called for and have had pretty good results thus far, so I plan on keeping it that way. Just my 2cents

mactiredearg

Tire guy I used said the same thing, at first. Two split tubes later he agreed to replace with the correct size. The smaller tubes might work fine if you stay on pavement or never have anything heavier than some kids in the back. But if you ever flex the tires you'll be in trouble.

Luckily for me I happen to need to carry a load through a steep ditch less than a week after the tire change. If it had been any longer I'm positive I would have had to pay full price for the correct tubes.

Texas Diesel

, Ive come to the conclusion that the sizes specified in the TM's or listed on the rims, and rubber themselves were put there for a good reason by the smart people who designed them. So 99% of the time, I use whats called for and have had pretty good results thus far, so I plan on keeping it that way. Just my 2cents
Sounds like good logic, Do you have the exact TM number that covers tires, rims, and flaps?

Thanks!:-?

runk

If you dig through the layers of paint on your stock wheels, you should find stamped part numbers and ratings. All that I have seen have been rated for 9.00 x 20 through 11.00 x 20 tires. The couple of old riveted wheels I have listed up to 12.00 x 20 tires (although I think you need spacers to run them as duals).

If you are buying surplus 11.00 x 20 tires, I'm surprised that they don't include the tubes and flaps, although usually with no guarantees . When I did mine (Goodyear G177's), all had tubes and flaps, all the flaps were fine (in much nicer shape the some of the ancient crusty 9.00 flaps in the old tires), all except one of the tubes were fine, although I had to replace a few of the valve cores. Note that if you are getting surplus ones from around here (or up near Red River Army Base), make sure you pull the old tubes and flaps and bail all the water out of the tires (from rain and outside storage)!

Since you are in Houston try Gensco
Home
They buy lots of the military surplus tires and wheels, and when they have the right size, they are cheap. They will even ship stuff from their main location (Alabama?) for free if you can wait.

Texas Diesel

Runk and all, thank you. Yes, I had tubes and flaps in the surplus G177's that I was trading for. Regrettably the tires were stolen before I could get them on the Deuce. The shop they were stolen from did find replacements and they came in yesterday, these tires came without flaps and tubes, so that's the issue. I've had the Deuce for about six months and am new to the "addiction" so I'm trying to figure exactly what I need and the correct sizing. Thank you all again.:)

Texas Diesel

Guys, also, I have had one mobile tire truck service cancel on me to put the tires on and one other I never heard back from. Anyone in the Houston area know of a mobile tire service in the sutheast Houston area that will commit to keeping their word about providing tire service? I will pay cash for the service just have had a heck of a time getting some service. I know I can look up in the phone book but does anyone know a service that keeps their word, gives quality service, and wants to be paid cash? Thanks! :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks