• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Tranny Post (M1009)

carter262

1984 M1009 stock

Hey guys and gals,

So I have been on here reading for a while and decided to run this by you for a second opinion.

I noticed a few weeks ago that when I would start up and start to pull off sometimes it would take a second for the tranny to catch up with the throttle, so to speak. It would not move for a second, and then it seemed fine.

Well today driving home I noticed that the engine appeared to be running at a higher RPM to keep up with normal driving speed, 55 mph. It was like the tranny was not keeping up with the engine. Dang this is not good. I also noticed that it seems worse that faster you are going. Not as bad rolling in first gear.

So I ran by my mechanic to get his opinion. I know him very well and trust him but it is still pricey having a shop work on anything. So I explained everything to him, we checked the fluid levels, full, clean looking, and no odd smell. We went for a drive and he agreed that it was not right. He thinks that I need a rebuild. That the issue is the clutch going out. This an expensive option if I let him do it.

Could there be a simpler explanation? I have the manuals but have not had a chance to look at the trouble shooting yet. That will be first thing in the morning. I have been on here reading / researching but most of the post are about not shifting, hard shifting, or slipping. I don't feel like mine is slipping and it shifts, but you have to run the engine harder than you normally do to keep up your speed.

So what do you think?

Iceman3005

If your engine seems to be running at a higher rpm to keep a certain speed, then yes your trans is slipping and will need a rebuild. Just for kicks though try this, go to walmart, go to the auto section and in the additives isle get a bottle of Trans-X-Slip stop, it comes in a black bottle. Pour that in the trans when it is hot, if problem hasn't disappeared in 1 week than you will need a rebuild. It may be possible you have a sticky valve in valve body and this should in most cases fix the sticky valve, but it doesn't always work or you don't have a sticky valve just a old worn out trans.

carter262

If your engine seems to be running at a higher rpm to keep a certain speed, then yes your trans is slipping and will need a rebuild. Just for kicks though try this, go to walmart, go to the auto section and in the additives isle get a bottle of Trans-X-Slip stop, it comes in a black bottle. Pour that in the trans when it is hot, if problem hasn't disappeared in 1 week than you will need a rebuild. It may be possible you have a sticky valve in valve body and this should in most cases fix the sticky valve, but it doesn't always work or you don't have a sticky valve just a old worn out trans.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was afraid of. I'll try the slip x and see what is does.

carter262

Ok so here is how it all worked out.

As stated before my mechanic test drove it and said it is slipping, it needs to be rebuilt. Find $1800 and we will get it done. I posted on here and talked to a few others and everyone seemed to agree. Dang this sucks. I never have spare money lying around.

Did some hunting and checking for used ones, rebuilt ones at a better price, or someone who works cheaper and still does quality work. I know that is really hard to fine. Either cheap or quality never both. Well I found a brand new sealed TH400 for a $1000.00. I was pretty excited to find a brand new tranny. It had everything with it too; filter, module, torque converter.

Well after driving round trip 6 hours to pick it up and another 7 the next day uninstalling and installing my baby was still showing the same symptoms. Engine running at above average rpms to keep up speed. I did realize that it was not slipping. It was winding out the gears, not wanting to shift. When it actually did shift it ran smooth.

So today was able to replace the vacuum lines and took it for a quick drive, I'm at work so couldn't take it to far, but it ran a 100% better. I guess I'll sale the old one, I think it was the vacuum lines all the time.

So the moral to the story. Read on here and try all the cheap fixes before spending your money.

IMAG0077.jpgIMAG0083.jpgIMAG0084.jpg

Iceman3005

Well you have a nice new trans, so no worries there.
Now, if the old trans is just fine and your mechanic thought he needed $1800 to fix it, you need a new mechanic.
That is the best response, that is one of the many reasons I have opened my own auto repair shop. To many mechanics want to do the most expensive thing first before doing some simple diagnostic checks, and try a figure the problem out instead of throwing money at the problem.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouchy, one quick point. Typically the symptoms of this problem are high RPM's before the transmission shifts into the next gear. If you were driving 55 in second gear the engine must have been screaming? I read you posts a couple of times and wanted to see if you had some different symptoms that I did not understand. Just trying to keep this thread concise for others who may be searching in the future. Can you clarify your symptoms?

You should be able to sell that transmission if you do not want to hold it fairly easy.

I might I noticed a few weeks ago that when I would start up and start to pull off sometimes it would take a second for the tranny to catch up with the throttle, so to speak. It would not move for a second, and then it seemed fine.

Well today driving home I noticed that the engine appeared to be running at a higher RPM to keep up with normal driving speed, 55 mph. It was like the tranny was not keeping up with the engine. Dang this is not good. I also noticed that it seems worse that faster you are going. Not as bad rolling in first gear

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If I were you I would hang on to the old transmission. That new one sat on the shelf dry, a LONG time. Make double sure the frictions hold together before you get rid of your old one.

2cents

carter262

Don't want to rub it in but did you check the SS forum? I know of several cases where the vacuum lines were the culprit.

At least you have a brand spanking new auto gear changer installed! :jumpin:

Yes I read on here quite a bit before posting this thread. I also got the same reply on here that the tranny was slipping. So I bite the bullet and got the new tranny. I should of took smaller steps up front and changed the vacuum lines and checked the vacuum pressures first. This is my daily and only driver so I panicked and wanted to fix it quick so I skipped the small steps which cost me in the end.

I now know that it was not slipping just not shifting. But looking at the bright side. I got a brand new tranny. It was so pretty when I opened the box.:D

carter262

Just trying to keep this thread concise for others who may be searching in the future. Can you clarify your symptoms?

You should be able to sell that transmission if you do not want to hold it fairly easy.

I might I noticed a few weeks ago that when I would start up and start to pull off sometimes it would take a second for the tranny to catch up with the throttle, so to speak. It would not move for a second, and then it seemed fine.

Well today driving home I noticed that the engine appeared to be running at a higher RPM to keep up with normal driving speed, 55 mph. It was like the tranny was not keeping up with the engine. Dang this is not good. I also noticed that it seems worse that faster you are going. Not as bad rolling in first gear

Original symptoms:

I noticed that the engine was running higher rpms than normal to keep up speed. The faster you went the harder the engine worked. ie extremely high rpm. the engine was screaming. Fist gear was a lot closer to normal acting. (I now know that it was not shifting. At the time it did not occur to me that the tranny was not shifting. Mine always shifted smooth and I was to busy concentrating on the sound and feel of the engine that I did not notice that it wasn't shifting.)

Transmission fluid: Full. Normal colored. No odd smell to it.

When first staring out, but not always, there would be a pause where nothing happened when you pressed on the throttle before the Blazer would start moving.

Note: When I did replace the vacuum line all looked good. There were no visible cracks or cuts.

I hope this helps and is what you were asking for Swiss.

carter262

If I were you I would hang on to the old transmission. That new one sat on the shelf dry, a LONG time. Make double sure the frictions hold together before you get rid of your old one.

2cents
FMJ,

I have not decided what I'm going to do with the old one yet. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with it now so I might hang onto it or sale it if I find someone that needs it down the road. I also have another spare that my dad picked up around 12 years ago. But I want to rebuild it as a spare cause it has been sitting so long. Plus I have never rebuilt one so it would give me the opportunity to learn with out the pressure of knowing that I couldn't drive till I got it done.

I would like to add this when they sealed the new one up back in 1991 it was sorted with fluid in it. I was shocked to see that when I opened it. I don't believe it was full, cause I did have to fill it after the install, but I think there was enough to keep the seals and parts lubed. I could be wrong though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks