• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Tranny post...

smith63b1p

For all of you transmission guys. My M1009 with 57xxx miles finally quit moving. It has been shifting a bit lazy lately,but would shift fine when shifting it myself. Anyways, now it won't move a inch in any gear. I've done a lot of reading on the problems that most people are having with these old trucks. The fluid and filter were new looking when I purchased the truck, but i went ahead and changed them again. I replaced the vac lines and I'm now getting 10" at idle instead of about 8" at the tranny modulator. I also checked to make sure that the mudulator moved when some vacuum was applied. Now for my real question. I removed the transmission governor and low and behold, things were a bit wet, but not much fluid drained when I removed the cover, and the housing was scratched ,up a bit. I checked the valve/plunger in the governor and it doesn't move a bit. I've found a replacement but does our tranny require any special governor due to it being a diesel engine or anything? I figured that I would ask before I order a new part. Also, the truck was not driven very far after it started acting up, so would this fry the tranny?

Thanks!!

Shawn

Last edited:

smith63b1p

For all of you transmission guys. My M1009 with 57xxx miles finally quit moving. It has been shifting a bit lazy lately,but would shift fine when shifting it myself. Anyways, now it won't move a inch in any gear. I've done a lot of reading on the problems that most people are having with these old trucks. The fluid and filter were new looking when I purchased the truck, but i went ahead and changed them again. I replaced the vac lines and I'm now getting 10" at idle instead of about 8" at the tranny modulator. I also checked to make sure that the mudulator moved when some vacuum was applied. Now for my real question. I removed the transmission governor and low and behold, things were a bit wet, but not much fluid drained when I removed the cover, and the housing was scratched ,up a bit. I checked the valve/plunger in the governor and it doesn't move a bit. I've found a replacement but does our tranny require any special governor due to it being a diesel engine or anything? I figured that I would ask before I order a new part. Also, the truck was not driven very far after it started acting up, so would this fry the tranny?

Thanks!!

Shawn
First update,

I played around with the gov and I got the shaft/plunger moving again. I reinstalled it and nothing changed, the truck doesn't move. I'll remove it again and see if it is still stuck and also drop the valve body and see if anything is stuck.

eric_banks32

I agree...maybe not about the mileage but if its not moving at all and not trying it is most likely a band/clutch issue not a governor issue. The governer should only affect when the tranny shifts not whether it engages or not.

btrapr

The th400 has a strange bolt that allows the filters to float in the fluid...Not saying that you did this BUT a lot of peole think there something wrong with it and either take it or shim it to tighten the fitler to the valve body..doing this pulls the filter up out of the fluid thus burning the unit up due to lack of fluid circulation...

A stuck govenor can cause all sorts of problems...Manually shifting can overcome a stuck gov at times....

Take your dip stick out and use your fingers instead of a rag...rub the finger tips together and smell it...SOUNDS CRAZY I know but this will do TWO things; one burnt smell indicating burnt clutches, and the finger test allows you to fill grit (paricles of worn parts)....

***Sitidis as a friend calls it! Is another source of failure...The rubber lip seals will harden overtime if not driven- and allow fluid to bypass thus dropping clutch pack pressure and slippage leading to failure! also the clutches themselves can dry out...which also promtoes clutch failure...

***ITS been around 19 yrs BUt I used to build these things along with C-4, C-6, TH200, TH350, power glides, 904, and 727's____

Last edited:

smith63b1p

First update,

I played around with the gov and I got the shaft/plunger moving again. I reinstalled it and nothing changed, the truck doesn't move. I'll remove it again and see if it is still stuck and also drop the valve body and see if anything is stuckss

Last edited:

Josh

before you go throwing your truck away, try to add a bottle of Lucas Transmission Stop Slip. I put a bottle of that in a truck that couldnt move itself, put in the lucas and got 2 more years out of the tranny before it had to be replaced.

stuff costs like 15 bucks a bottle

Last edited:

tm america

i rebuild transmissions for a living if it doesnt move pull it out. there is nothing in the pan or that can be fixed in the truck that will make it not move. no movement at all forward or rev is gonna be a convertor or pump problem. unless it is just totally fried like maybe from geting water in it and peeling the clutches and bands .if there is enough in the oan to clog the filter it came from somewhere and the trans still needs to come out

tm america

using things like lucus and other trans fix in the bottle is the worst thing you can do to a trans .it is a seal sweller it will make all the seals swell and they will wear faster or just fall off the pistons all together then you need a full rebuilt no matter what .where it might have been able to be repaired.