• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another wacky tachy question

drewzee87t

I have searched to the ends of the Internet on this site and others and I think the answer to this one is "get another one that is the correct part". I got this VDO tach at a garage sale for a song. I looked at the instructions and it showed that it can be used from an alternator signal. Upon closer inspection of the instruction sheet, there appears to be one instruction manual for three different "versions" of the same guage and based on the connectors that are populated on the back of the guage, it looks like this one needs a sensor to run it, not an alternator signal. The instructions are very confusing. I ran it off the alternator and it does work, just not in the proper range. The calibration does not get it into any correct range either, so I am assuming it can't run off the alternator but requires a sender.

More research indicates that this model 330-506 is for a generator triggered (which I mistake for an alternator - doh!) and the ratio is 2:1 ratio. Am I correct to understand this would be a voltage generator sensor that would typically run off a camshaft (hence the 2:1 ratio)? I think that is the case, then my next dumb question would be do we have anything like this on the 6.2 where you could tap a camshaft for time signals and a cheap way to get a sensor/rig something?

There is a lot of posting and very few direct answers for this. I suspect the guage is trash for my purposes and that even if I could find a suitable spot, the sensor itself would probably be cost prohibitive.

I did see a picture in one of the many posts on tach here that showed this exact guage installed on someone's truck where the radio would go. I can't seem to find that post or whose truck it was. I suspect they probably have the version that DOES take an alternator signal. If anyone has any ideas how to make use of this, please let me know. Since it is not a standard GAS or SI ignition type guage I don't think I can use a Dakota Digital DSL to make it work either, since those are for converting TO a standard GAS/SI guage and this is a generator signal guage.

I am not interested in tiny tach.

I think I will be hunting down a 2 1/16 VDO with alt hookup and try that. I must have wasted like 8 hours researching and messing with this guage. Pics attached of guage I have. I might also get brave and take it apart to see if it is just missing the power input blade but has the same circuit board that it could be used with alternator signal.

If anyone knows who has a guage like this and can point me in a direction I would sure like to know. Thanks as always!

VDOTachometer001Small.jpg1 211 160 010 A 0176.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing that comes to mind is have you contacted the manufacturer?
That's usually your best source of tech info.

If they are still around call and ask.
I don't run a tach so I can't help on that part.

They are usually very helpful.

Right now I'm dealing with Ross Equipment and Medallion gauges on a warranty issue with a gauge.
They both have been extremely helpful and new voltmeter is on the way.

Last edited:

Skinny

I would think that if the gauge is made for a pickup generator, then VDO probably has a universal pickup that goes with it. The ones I've seen mount typically on an oil pan bolt and require two magnets to be glued on the balancer.

drewzee87t

Hmmmm. I have a tach-drive vacuum pump... I wonder if it would run it
I can send it to you if you want to try it....PM me if interested. I have no use for it and a sensor would cost as much as to just get the right guage to begin with. I ordered a VDO 2 1/16" from a popular auction site. The pictured guage is 3 3/8 so FYI. It would fit in the radio area or you would have to mount it somewhere on its own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks