• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

100dollarman

100dollarman did you finish your project yet.Did you weld it or did you bolt the frame on.I made a comment about spring rap.I was wondering if that spring set up worked.
Have not finished yet-- too many things going at once!

After looking it over again, I have decided that the way it is boxed, braced, and welded it will be fine for this application. If we sell it, I will show the customer how it is done, and tell him to check the welds periodically.

This week we will roll the axle under it, get u-bolts made, lengthen the driveshaft to fit, mount the bed. Maybe add a couple more welds. Still havent decided which wheel/tire combo I want to put on this one. And paint. Should be done this week unless I get sidetracked.

I dont expect it to have any more wrap than any of the last 15 bobbed deuces that we have done---- springs are mounted basically the same. What exactly is your concern about wrap???

I think the truck is going to sit just about level when done. I wont know for certain until I get it together, but looks like it will be fine. Just a bit higher in the rear--maybe an inch or so.

Here are a couple of 1/2 done pics-

Attachments

Billy Bobbed

I didnt think there was enough springs all together.I figured every time when you shift or down shift the springs would unload.I took all the trailer springs and over load sprngs and put them all together.Some of the bottom springs you have to grind the nipple off so it will sit flat on the over load springs,because they dont have the hole for the nipple to sit in.Just stack the springs by length.I used thread all to pull the springs together.I didnt use the block.The trailer purches bolt to the frame.I used the deuce front spring clamps.My truck sits just right.No spring wrap at all.

KsM715

I think the guys experiencing spring wrap are using 105 springs and mounts with a lift block on top of the axle. Putting the trailer frame under the deuce frame removes the need for the block.

100dollarman

Yes, I think blocks are OK if you fit them like we have done in the past, but I would prefer to have no block if possible. Here are a couple of no block pics--

I use 3/4" u-bolts, fabbed plates, and also welded locater tabs on the lower spring plate.

Attachments

100dollarman

It's getting there!!! Waiting on the tires to get installed by my tire guy--- probably friday. We are going to put 14.00-20 Mich XLs on stock wheels for this truck for now.

Not sure yet if I am going to flip the hubs or not- we'll see. Need to get tires on, touch up some paint (I didnt plan it, but the trailer actually matches the truck pretty well!!!), I might trade the hardtop for one that matches better. I am going to make the hood fit a little better. Get her cleaned up and she'll be ready to go!!!

Here is a side pic also, so you can see how she sits. A couple of pics looks like the wheelwell on the bed doesnt line up with the axle,----- but it is an opticle illusion- it does line up! Looks funny with the stock tires on there!

I am also going to put this one in my name and get it plated. That way I can drive it, and also get an idea what it takes nowadays to get one registered.

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D
We need the "BEER" smiley!

Attachments

100dollarman

Here is a snag that I ran into with using the trailer frame section----

There is not enough clearance for the driveshaft!!! So I cut out a pocket in the 2 front crossmembers and boxed them in on the backside.

If I use the "trailer frame" method on the next bobbed deuce, I will cut and box this clearance before it goes under the truck!

pic-

Attachments

stumps

Here is a snag that I ran into with using the trailer frame section----

There is not enough clearance for the driveshaft!!! So I cut out a pocket in the 2 front crossmembers and boxed them in on the backside.

If I use the "trailer frame" method on the next bobbed deuce, I will cut and box this clearance before it goes under the truck!

pic-
Wow! That looks like it is so going to break if that truck ever hauls a load, or goes off road.

-Chuck

mudguppy

Wow! That looks like it is so going to break if that truck ever hauls a load, or goes off road.

-Chuck
it's just a crossmember that keeps the trailer frame rails square - why would this member see enough torsional force to bend/break?

additional material could be added to the top of this piece...

stumps

it's just a crossmember that keeps the trailer frame rails square - why would this member see enough torsional force to bend/break?

additional material could be added to the top of this piece...
A piece of box tubing, perhaps...

The trailer frame is about 1/2 the thickness of the deuce frame, and is hanging off of the bottom of the deuce frame. Any load in the bed, especially when coupled with off column forces on the rear axle, will tend to make the trailer frame splay outwards at the bottom. The trailer frame's cross member prevented that... but no more.

[imagine the forces on the trailer frame, relayed by the spring shackles when the truck is driving with the right tires above left tires... in other words, right side's wheels down in a ditch]

-Chuck

mudguppy

... will tend to make the trailer frame splay outwards at the bottom. ...
yeah, that's what i was thinking, too, but wasn't sure if this member was in peril or not. it's hard to determine how much force will be exerted on this [now thinner] cross member. i think i would be more concerned about a load in the bed more than articulation or, worse, both at the same time.

material across the top would probably be good insurance. yeah, box would be good; may rectangular to do the best job at resisting the bending moment.

foothill4play

When you do take it to DMV and get it registered, do a post. I need to register 1 of mine, and can't decide if I should register it before or after I bob it. You know how some inspectors are...." Modified... no way .... cant register it...green sticker only..." Have you heard that yet? lol

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the original question, cameo55 bobbed on using a piece of M35 frame front and back to mount the springs, mostly for lift.

Dennis

100dollarman

Havent been able to work on the bob much this week- but I did get the 14.00-20 tires on it. Just need to do a little paint work and she'll be done! (finally!)

I appreciate all of the input on the trailer frame use---

All in all, I think it worked out ok. I will probably do it again, but maybe brace it up a little differently. Maybe box it in BEFORE I install it under the Deuce frame.

I will report my titling experience when I do that. Still waiting on SF97.

Now what should my next project be???? I have a M35A3 that I keep thinking about bobbing...:twisted:

Attachments

IMA944T

Guy here in south Oklahoma City builds bobbers for Ebay and a car lot to sell. The guys that welds the spring perches to the frame lays down a extremly good bead but, the man is a good welder so he should know about welding treated frame rails. Everybig truck always reads ,Do not weld to frame. Being a semi pro wleder myself I find this bad since he's selling them to public modified though a buissnes and he speaks of he's off roading adventures to people that are interested in buying one. Sounds like poss. lawsuit in the waiting if sold to wrong person.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks