• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

bhg305r

Bobed Deuce

Please forgive me, this is my first post, I hope it comes out correct. My name is Tony and have been a member for about a month, and constantly read most Deuce and Modified deuce threads. I hope this mod turned out well. I just wanted to know if the stance came out alright. From the pictures it looked like the back end went up a foot. I think this is a great way to simplify the "Bobed Deuce".
If this turned out correct to the eye I will be duplicating this very soon. I just received my M35A2 last week and the 105 trailer next week.

100dollarman

Please forgive me, this is my first post, I hope it comes out correct. My name is Tony and have been a member for about a month, and constantly read most Deuce and Modified deuce threads. I hope this mod turned out well. I just wanted to know if the stance came out alright. From the pictures it looked like the back end went up a foot. I think this is a great way to simplify the "Bobed Deuce".
If this turned out correct to the eye I will be duplicating this very soon. I just received my M35A2 last week and the 105 trailer next week.

Welcome to the forum, Tony!

The trucks sit about level-- maybe an inch or 2 up in the back.

tm america

For the amount of work to do it this way and having to worry about cracks wouldnt it take less effort to just use m35 front spring and then have the u-bolt plates and shocks?if you are gonna do it this way i would have left the side plates on the frame.Then notched them and bolted them to the sides of the m105 frame.I dont see any issues doing it like that and just bolting it in place no welds.But you still have to make different top and bottom axle plates since the m105 uses a round axle instead of a square axle

100dollarman

For the amount of work to do it this way and having to worry about cracks wouldnt it take less effort to just use m35 front spring and then have the u-bolt plates and shocks?if you are gonna do it this way i would have left the side plates on the frame.Then notched them and bolted them to the sides of the m105 frame.I dont see any issues doing it like that and just bolting it in place no welds.But you still have to make different top and bottom axle plates since the m105 uses a round axle instead of a square axle

Not worried about cracks-
There definitely is more than one way to skin a cat-- we have used a few different methods. Welding is not an issue for me and my customers. The A3 got front springs bolted to the frame. Some customers request front springs, some prefer the trailer frame method----- both work.

I am always open to ideas and suggestions!!

100dollarman

Hundy,
How well do you trust those Harbor Freight jack stands? :cool:
They are great!

Here is a progress report for today-- its shorter now! And we have the subframe assembly prepped for install--

JP--- it doesnt look like we will make it for the weekend--- probably will need another day or 2--- sorry, bro! (but I'm still gonna try!)

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I think this whole method of hacking up trucks and trailers to build bobbers is pretty ghetto, but nobody asked my opinion and plenty of people seem happy enough with the quality to buy them...
I'm all for it. Every one that gets bobbed makes mine worth just a little bit more. After Mark posts up about # 600,000 being bobbed mine should offically be "rare".

LOL

To me it's just another MOD. I got into the hobby wanting a bobber and ended up liking the full sized truck more.

And I've seen the trucks Hundy is putting out - they are FAR from ghetto.

jollyroger

Problem with doing it exclusively with front springs and brackets is that you have to have that from a donor truck. Pretty soon you have a bunch of donor trucks with no front axle under them. At $2000-$3000 per donor truck(unless you can find one for scrap) Hundy would be in the M-35 wrecking yard business in no time.

If you are going to use the 105 bed on the truck why not use the residue to complete the bob job. This way the only scrap you have is the tounge and axle from the trailer. And you have say $500+ dollars in the M105 with less residue.

GPappy

If you are going to use the 105 bed on the truck why not use the residue to complete the bob job. This way the only scrap you have is the tounge and axle from the trailer. And you have say $500+ dollars in the M105 with less residue.
I was thinking the same thing. It would seem that it would be easy enough to make some spring mounts that would duplicate the stock front mount dimensions out of steel plate if someone didn't want to use the trailer frame method.

jollyroger

I was thinking the same thing. It would seem that it would be easy enough to make some spring mounts that would duplicate the stock front mount dimensions out of steel plate if someone didn't want to use the trailer frame method.
You for sure could use plate to fabricate spring mounts. Or you could un rivet the M-105 spring mounts off of the M-105 frame and fabricate 4-6 inch blocks to space the spring mounts down for a level ride height. But if you use the M-105 frame it does all that for you and you don't have to design and fabricate said blocks that you have to weld or bolt to the existing frame anyway. And you don't have to re attach spring hangers to anything cause they are already there.

There are pros and cons in doing it different ways. But for the production that Hundy puts out this is probably the most efficient way to do it. Which keeps the cost down to the consumer.[thumbzup]

100dollarman

Thx, Guys---

Like I have said before- there are many ways to do this---- . This is how we do it. I am always open to great ideas and can change it if I decide to. Some peoples' opinions I value greatly, and others are just wasted oxygen. I always value constructive comments or criticism.

Made more progress on the greenman trk today---- got the frame set and welded, axle set, u-bolts custom made and driveshaft dropped off at the shop for lengthening.

Tomorrow the u-bolts finish the axle install, ds will prob go in (if it gets done in time). We are going to cut the bed in the morning, and install the soft top.

Attachments

100dollarman

I dont have another bobber sold after this one-- unless I get an order in the next few days, I'd like to build one same as this one, but paint it tan or green, and set it up with duals-- 11.00-20s--- I have some 95%plus tread Mich XLs and some 95%plus Goodyear G177s that I think would look/work really cool on a bobber-- 43" dualled radials.....I like it!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks