• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Answer to the age old question-m35a2

1944mb

Forgive my ignorance, but I was curious about the front axle-can it be locked in on the fly? Or does one need to stop to engage it(obviously it shouldn't be locked in when you already have wheel slippage)? I read the operator's TM, but did no recall seeing a section on locking the front axle. It was my understanding from the TM that you can shift the Xfer case from high to low while moving IF you are going slow enough for that gear. Here in MT most everyone owns a 4wd, but many wait till they are going sideways to put it in 4wd-CRUNCH! Just wanted to clarify.

bonedoc

Forgive my ignorance, but I was curious about the front axle-can it be locked in on the fly? Or does one need to stop to engage it(obviously it shouldn't be locked in when you already have wheel slippage)? I read the operator's TM, but did no recall seeing a section on locking the front axle. It was my understanding from the TM that you can shift the Xfer case from high to low while moving IF you are going slow enough for that gear. Here in MT most everyone owns a 4wd, but many wait till they are going sideways to put it in 4wd-CRUNCH! Just wanted to clarify.
As long as your front axle is engaged, either with no lock out hubs or the lock outs engaged, you can shift it into 6x6 on the fly. Personally while I will shift the transfer case from low to hi when accelerating under a load, I don't shift from hi to low while moving but that is my opinion....and I'm sure there are others who do.

My truck had the fuel line in the same position along with the brake line to the front axle. When I redid my brakes I rerouted my brake line under truck and up the passenger frame rail as was done on later models. The fuel line, from primary filter housing to the injection pump, I routed up ontop of the crossmember to keep it out of harms way. There are pics on my mod thread as well as measurements if you interested in doing the same on yours. Has worked great and it is safe from harm.

1944mb

Well, today is the day-plan on running over to the truck and seeing if we can get her going. After trickle charging the batteries, then load testing-it was quickly apparent they are history. Two seconds into the load, they dropped down to almost 8 volts. No surprise. I haven't decided whether I'm gonna fab a new fuel line there, cut and splice in a chunk to get home, or what. I'll you guys posted!

1944mb

Okay, I am happy to report that the old deuce is home! Very uneventful trip. I cut the copper line, spliced a rubber hose in place of the smashed part for a temporary fix. Filled the tires with air, replaced the batteries(group 31s fit awesome), I changed the fuel filters. I also drained some of the fuel from the bottom of the tank, just to check it. The fuel looked fantastic, no junk just good clean fuel! This truck came from Vegas GL. The guy who brought it up here bought and sold a number of these trucks, and kind of knew where the better maintained trucks were(He was the guy that bought this one and parked it when it needed some work). He said Yermo was known for taking the worst care of their trucks. Some of the better ones came from South Dakota. Once home I cleaned the cab and found the paperwork, signed by an E-7 to have this truck released from the military--this truck came from SD! We got this truck running closer to dark(had other stuff to do yesterday). We were going to get it running and come back the next day--once running there was no way I could resist! Only stupidness on my part is I did not read the shifting pattern--read from 1, 2, 3, then figured 4 and five were in the usual spots. Kept thinking as I was driving through town that the manufacturer sure had 3, and 4 a long ways apart gearing wise. As I was puting through town, sun going down and beautiful, I past a bar/eating spot with the hippies on the deck. Of course I couldn't resist goose-ing Todd(what the girls were thinking they are gonna call the deuce); in what was really fifth gear doing 30mph, the rumble of the exhaust was something everyone could feel. Of course they all had their little pinkys sticking out as they drank whatever, a scowl on their face as they realized all the environment they saved driving their Prius's was now null and void with me driving the deuce. I got a good laugh at the scene. Also, I noticed a couple of lifted trucks with big tires all of a sudden seemed like Tonka toys!!! Man I am hooked--for once I noticed the cautions on the data plates to be relevant-Hearing protection is a good idea! Thanks to all. This thing is awesome!!!

1944mb

Took the deuce to a home town parade and car show. The car show guys always make me laugh--had some guys with newer mustangs pull up and wipe down and polish their cars. My wife thought I should whip out a rattle can of OD paint to touch up any blemishes on the deuce to show them up! Fun parade, no problems- I parked it back at the car show after the parade and had a few drops of coolant-I think it was the cap leaking a little. Have a little more investigating to do. It was windy so I didn't flip the hood all the way up.

Attachments

1944mb

Put the M35 into service and saved a m211! Took me roughly 60 miles of dirt road to get her home. The deuce performed flawlessly. I needed the front axle's help a few times through bad road conditions. Also passed by a small town vfd that had 4-m35 out and I think one m211.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the M35 into service and saved a m211! Took me roughly 60 miles of dirt road to get her home. The deuce performed flawlessly. I needed the front axle's help a few times through bad road conditions. Also passed by a small town vfd that had 4-m35 out and I think one m211.
That #1 pic - the orange one - is worthy of an MV Calendar !!!

1944mb

So, what do you do in Montana when it's 0F out? Fire up the deuce of course! Went for a quick drive on the frontage road. Determined a personnel heater would be nice for such occasions, but the truck did awesome. I really enjoy these trucks. Nothing like having a little ground clearance! When everything is white a green army truck REALLY stands out!

Attachments

1944mb

With the NDTs it does rather suck in the snow. I would like to find some chains for it, so let me know if you run across any! Of course a personnel heater and defroster wouldn't be all bad...

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many surplus dealers have military chains for little money - shipping adds to the price; they are heavy as you can imagine.
I hope that your truck leaks enough oil for self-protection of the undercarriage when you drive it on winter roads!

Mine was a Southern US truck and looks like it never saw road salt. I decided to keep it that way!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

rustystud

NICE !

I have grown to appreciate BALL VALVES over the traditional screw/washer type, especially in situations where rust or other deposits could build up and hinder function or performance.
By using this particle type of shut-off valve I was able to keep the hose tight to the firewall and I didn't have to buy two more brass 90 degree fittings. Plus it has a "nylon" insert and the valve is made of "brass" so no rust issues.

1944mb

No rust issues is always a good thing. How do you find the standard issue heater works? This truck had one, as it was stationed in South Dakota(I found the paperwork on the floor where an E7 signed to release it for liquidation), but it was removed-I can see the witness marks where it was installed. I see they also offer a arctic heater for these, that mounts to the driver fender and burns diesel-I'd be okay not having it on the fender. I definitely need a heater for this, chains would be nice-I see Eastern surplus offers 900-20 single chains, but don't see anyone offering the back dual chains.

Chains seem like extreme case use to most people I am sure. But I live at the base of the Crazy mountains. People in town have said to me before that they have lived here years and never put chains on. Funny enough, when I was ranching I chained up all the time in the winter-once you are off the pavement, there is no snow plows running around to make life easier...Its one of those better to have and not need, than need and not have scenarios-use them once and they paid for themselves. Anyone else have a good lead on chains?

This truck starts extremely well in the cold-I used just the intake heater the other day. I'll have to find a solution for a block heater, nice to have everything pre-heated before firing her up.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, nvm. Had to clear my post, I was going to recommend a fellow who had an NOS heater kit for sale but it's long sold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks