• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Answering Duplicate Thread Questions

JDToumanian

Hello Group,

It seems to be the habit here lately to not answer questions that have been covered a number of times in past threads.... Instead, members and moderators alike post that people should use the search function.

The problem with this is that the search results for popular topics (like how do I bypass my FDC?) are going to become polluted with threads that include the key words that the person used, but don't include the answer.... only a recommendation that they perform a search.

I'm not suggesting that people don't need to utilize the search function, and I don't really like to see dozens of threads answering the same question... Maybe if a question is asked in a new thread that has been covered dozens of times already, moderators should delete the thread after pointing the member in the right direction?

....Just an observation that I hope will lead to someone coming up with a brilliant solution.

Regards,
Jon

dragonwagon

Well im here for info as much as i am to try and be a part of the site but i have nearly no luck with the searchs .

Tonight i was trying to research info regarding a hard top for my deuce . Type in hard top for example you will get page afer page that has nothing to do with a top at all .

Im not that good with the internet stuff , i can assume there are other noobs such as my self having the same type of issue .

Maybe the 1st question some of us should have asked is , how do i manage to get better results from the search engine .

Searching for hard top info , should i go to a certain area before useing search or dont that matter ?

Rather then rile some one up i spend stupid somes of time trying to find info .

onegmjack

I some what agree with the search having post not related to topic you are looking.I was a Auto Tech for 28 years.The anwsers are here most proably not any where esle.My old saying is half of solving the problem is knowing the solution.I have looked for hours,but
also learned other things that when I have that problem I know what to do.The info.is
here,just how bad do you want to fix your problem.Thank you Chris and all the fine people that keep this site going and the Best Site On the Net.Thanks Dwight

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello Group,

It seems to be the habit here lately to not answer questions that have been covered a number of times in past threads.... Instead, members and moderators alike post that people should use the search function.

The problem with this is that the search results for popular topics (like how do I bypass my FDC?) are going to become polluted with threads that include the key words that the person used, but don't include the answer.... only a recommendation that they perform a search.

I'm not suggesting that people don't need to utilize the search function, and I don't really like to see dozens of threads answering the same question... Maybe if a question is asked in a new thread that has been covered dozens of times already, moderators should delete the thread after pointing the member in the right direction?

....Just an observation that I hope will lead to someone coming up with a brilliant solution.

Regards,
Jon
Jon, this is a good idea and you and I are on the same page. You have verbalized exactly the concern many of us have held for awhile.

We have tried to teach and train the membership to utilize the resources which already exist on the site, but in between folks who are unfamiliar with the culture of online forums, those who aren't computer proficient and those who are just lazy, it doesn't seem to be working.

I have long felt that when a topic which has been discussed in great detail (pretty much ANYTHING deuce related at this point, CUCV glow plug issues, etc.), we should delete the new thread or merge it with the correct thread.

The only problems with that are:

1. Time-it would mean a LOT of time for us mods to read all the threads, find a violator, do a search and find the correct thread and merge the new thread with the old one.

2. I personally fear this policy would train the membership to NOT search-why bother searching if a mod will do it for you? Just post a thread and wait for it to be merged and let someone else do the work.

3. The whining will be EPIC.

So I am still looking for an answer that fixes the most amount of problems with the least amount of unintended consequences.

Ultimately I think the best answer is to delete the new thread and send the poster a PM telling them why it was deleted ("I deleted your 'A2 vs. A3' thread as we had a 5 page thread on exactly this same topic just last week, you need to go find it, read it and add to it if it doesn't answer all your questions"). This is probably the best compromise.

Thanks

C

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well im here for info as much as i am to try and be a part of the site but i have nearly no luck with the searchs .

Tonight i was trying to research info regarding a hard top for my deuce . Type in hard top for example you will get page afer page that has nothing to do with a top at all .

Im not that good with the internet stuff , i can assume there are other noobs such as my self having the same type of issue .

Maybe the 1st question some of us should have asked is , how do i manage to get better results from the search engine .

Searching for hard top info , should i go to a certain area before useing search or dont that matter ?

Rather then rile some one up i spend stupid somes of time trying to find info .

Dragon Wagon,

check this thread out: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=58151

Go there and post on that thread what you wanted to know about hard tops. I will find it for you and I will let you know how I found it. This should get you a better idea of how to do searches.

stumps

I think the better answer would be to start moving posts that contain useful information over to the wiki, and leave the boards as they are.

-Chuck

bkwudzhom

Question.
Is there a SOP on how to get the best results when searching? Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

I have searched for something before and was exausted from wading through 25 posts in the first thread that was presented. I finally posted a new thread on the topic and with in a short time a MOD-DH if I remember correctly-had replied with a link with the answer and I felt like a real ID 10 T. I for one dont mind searching but I have done so in great length at times with nothing to show for my efforts

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks