• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna help

byrdman1312

I have a Humvee that has the antenna mount, coax, and whip antenna. I don't know much about radios, or this equip., but I do know that the mount does not have the switch underneath to change bands. I assume this antenna is high VHF (?). Is there a way that this antenna and related equip. can be used with a UHF radio?

Many thanks!
Keith

papakb

To answer your question, no, the AS-3900 is a VHF antenna and it will not match up for use in the UHF frequencies. An ideal antenna would be the Harris RF-390AT that operates from 30-512 Mhz. They're hard to find but very nice whip antennas. That's what I have mounted on my HMMWV. There are some older UHF antennas that will also work for you, you could use an AT-183 (I think this is the number). They're short antennas that were used on armored vehicles.

You might check with 86humv and see if he has any available.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

byrdman1312

You're right, 86humv, it is a AS-3900. I did some searching on the net and found that the VAS-450 is a UHF antenna. Anyone know where I can find one? OR, could the AS-3900 be modified for UHF? My goal is to find a antenna that can be screwed onto the AS-3900 base.
My HMMWV is equipped with the AS-3900 base, antenna, coax, I'd like to use as much of this as I can. I've mounted one of my UHF radios inside and wired it to the military speaker.
Thanks!

papakb

Another antenna that is usable for UHF radios is the AS()GRC-206 antenna. It's meant to be used with radios like the PRC-113 and operates in both the VHF and UHF aircraft bands. They might be a bit more available than the Harris antennas. The antenna mounts in the same footprint as the 3900 but looks like a piece of 3" pipe about 2 feet long.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks