• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti (Deuce) Theft Device

Norseland

Hello all,

Ive been working on this for a bit and came up with this, It was inspired by Jones (from California) and this post,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=17789&highlight=cable+lock

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/chitownjohn/?action=view&current=specs.jpg
I think the covered shank lock like this one realy helps, but next thought is to weld a big sqaure peice to the outer side of the T so everything would be covered up, and then you just pull the throttle kill and slide the metal down and lock it.

I just used 2" wide flat stock, I beleive 3/16 thick. secured the right side piece 2" in a vice and the hammered my bend, the left piece I secured 1" down. Now you'll need to drill your holes.
The idea realy doesnt need the right peice to work my thought there was that with a "T", I could have more support to weld a face plate to cover everything up, plus I thought the notch for the power swicth just looked cool!

As far as the nut's and bolt's connecting them, just bash the threads to keep someone from unbolting it, but even if they did, it's not going to get the power switch to turn so after the wasted time doing that the still got nothing! Thats again where the face plate would be nice, no realy good way to get in there.

If you have a rotating latch bracket for a door laying around you could do this, it also keeps the power from being turned,

Hope this helps and all may do as the please to make their own or improve upon it, Cheers!

john

HeadWizard

I really like the idea of the power switch lock out. No power, no start.

With all due respect, the engine stop lock out can be bypassed in about 30 seconds. On one of the Deuces I picked up at Ft. Meade, the cable was frozen stuck. Turned the 2 latches on the left side engine cover and cut the cable with a pair of dykes. No more than 30 seconds. I suppose I could have just loosened the set screw, but that was an afterthought :?

Jones

All are great ideas but none will stop a determined thief. The best you can hope is to make it difficult enough so that they move on to easier pickins'.
Multiple deterrants are good too; the stop cable lock, keyed main battery switch, door locks if applicable, a way to lock the hood, etc.; and as long as we're talking security, a way to lock the fuel cap.
Lying to thieves is allowed too. My buddy with a five-ton has a switch on the dash labeled 'marker lights'... in reality, it interrupts the starter solenoid feed. Not too many thieves in a hurry could figure out that that switch needs to be on in order to get the engine to crank.

littlebob

Jones said:
All are great ideas but none will stop a determined thief. The best you can hope is to make it difficult enough so that they move on to easier pickins'.
Multiple deterrants are good too; the stop cable lock, keyed main battery switch, door locks if applicable, a way to lock the hood, etc.; and as long as we're talking security, a way to lock the fuel cap.
Lying to thieves is allowed too. My buddy with a five-ton has a switch on the dash labeled 'marker lights'... in reality, it interrupts the starter solenoid feed. Not too many thieves in a hurry could figure out that that switch needs to be on in order to get the engine to crank.
I think Jones is right. This has been covered recently in a previous thread.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=218088&highlight=#218088

It all has to do with the level of protection you require. Is it going to be left in a remote area or is going to be in public .
littlebob

Norseland

Well the plates I made were to walk in to a store or any other place that I may be distracted for a bit. I will use them to store the vehicle as well, w/ a handfull of deterants and puzzles. I'd have to think if they see that plate they may just assume they gotta get that crap off if it's there unless we are talking a military guy that may know.

1-I got a keyed lock on the Batt door, 2-also I figured I'd undo the dogbone.

I like the whole fakeout Idea for the start button, How about this, I just unplug it from the back hide it up in the dash (i'm a small wirey guy) and take the actualy button w/ me. They'd have to be a bit smart to find away to use it w/out the button, no? Plus they gotta find the wire. Or I Suppose they could jump her off the starter, eh? hmm.

3-Chain lock the steering wheel.not the doors cause in my barn they could just bust the windows and I dont want that.
4- I seen this somewhere here too, so I realy like the take the drive shaft off the forward rear axle. I think thats real funny! Ha!
So I got an idea or 2 more but The area I'm going to is rather small, making it real local. If a bad guy got on here for some wacked reason I'd dont care to give them a whole playbook for stealing my Deuce! Ha! Thanks guys for the comments!

john (oh and thats just a code name)

Jones

One thing that a lot of vehicles have that deuces don't is a way to cut off the fuel. An inline solenoid valve with hidden switch is a worthwhile consideration. Diesels are compression ignition engines and, if the engine can be turned over, will start and run even without electrical power... but none of them will run without fuel.

steelandcanvas

Just remember, all of the puzzles, locks, fake-outs, hidden switches, parts removal, all have to be replaced before you can drive it. Keep it simple, pull the dogbone and put it under the hood somewhere, run a chain through the steering wheel. When you take her for a spin and want to stop somewhere, the chain through the steering wheel will suffice. As stated before, would you steal a vehicle that gets 10 or less mpg, has a top speed of 55mph, requires fuel that is $4+ a gallon, and sticks out like a sore thumb?

dc3coyote

Just pull off a wheel. All my trucks get set up like that. When they will be sitting for more than a few days.
The lug nuts get locked in my brand new gun safe. While the spare tire and wheel are stored in my partners garage.
Fool proof storage unless you come prepared.
But you would be much much safer to just ask to borrow my truck or ask for help.

Norseland

steelandcanvas said:
As stated before, would you steal a vehicle that gets 10 or less mpg, has a top speed of 55mph, requires fuel that is $4+ a gallon, and sticks out like a sore thumb?
Well I'd suppose just cause he's a theif dont necessarily make him good at math! Ha!

But the real issue is there is a lot of property to my one side from a logging company, w/ loads of roads and trails just begging a Deuce to drive it, so I gotta worry about that Kids or some yahoo), secondly there are many large land owners there that if they got a hold of my truck, I may never see it cause it may not ever have to leave their property.those are my real worries, maybe I should LOJACK my truck!

Thanks to about a fuel cutoff, I'm not to good with electrical so I was trying to avoid messing w/ that, but I'll figure out something, thanks.

john

Jones

Call me old-fashioned but I just figure that if a vehicle's mine, I should have a say in who starts, or drives, or climbs on and in it; I didn't buy or build it to be an amusement park attraction.
Too bad they quit teaching manners and respect for other people's property a few decades back.
And as sue-happy as everybody is these days, I don't want to be looking at the cost of damages to my rig or whatever else gets hit if someone figures out how to start it but not how to operate it safely once it's running.

Fuel cut-offs are a snap, John. Tubing cutter and fittings to graft it into a fuel line (from the tank, not the return), power wire to toggle switch or tap into the same lead that runs the in-tank pump, one wire at the cut-off solenoid will be power, second wire at solenoid goes to ground... and a lot of solenoids aren't even particular as to which is which. If you don't want to go electrical then a quarter turn ball valve in between the tank and IP will do just as well... you just have to remember to manually operate that valve before start up or after shutdown.

steelandcanvas

Jones said:
Call me old-fashioned but I just figure that if a vehicle's mine, I should have a say in who starts, or drives, or climbs on and in it; I didn't buy or build it to be an amusement park attraction.
Too bad they quit teaching manners and respect for other people's property a few decades back.
And as sue-happy as everybody is these days, I don't want to be looking at the cost of damages to my rig or whatever else gets hit if someone figures out how to start it but not how to operate it safely once it's running.
Good point as usual, Jones. If people would teach their children to respect property that belongs to others, alot of problems would be avoided. 2cents

Norseland

Jones thank you for the tips.
And everyone for that matter.

I couldnt agree more about the lack of respect today. I'm no damn angel in most respects but I try to be respectful and truthful as possiable.

Hey I just checked my Diff's and the 2 rears were good but I had a milk sahke in the front! I guess water got in there eh? I'm in here typing while she's draining! Thanks again.

john

john

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to put an alarm in it to. Use a weather proof toggle somewhere, two door pin trips and an alarm is really all that is needed. If someone is bold enough to try and steal it, they may just try and break or steal something when they can't get it started. The alarm may be enough to scare them off fast. I have also seen pepper/OC gas trips utilized but you wouldn't want to forget about it yourself. I am currently working on a fuel cap lock to protect $200. + in diesel fuel.

Ironclad

You may want to put an alarm in it to. Use a weather proof toggle somewhere, two door pin trips and an alarm is really all that is needed. If someone is bold enough to try and steal it, they may just try and break or steal something when they can't get it started. The alarm may be enough to scare them off fast. I have also seen pepper/OC gas trips utilized but you wouldn't want to forget about it yourself. I am currently working on a fuel cap lock to protect $200. + in diesel fuel.
Any luck with that locking fuel cap project? I'd be interested in a handful of those babies!

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd add a Trunk Monkey!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUBxgdKZ_Y[/media]

ah1955

There is a thread that shows a very simple lock bar for the fuel cap. I don't remember who posted it, but it was easy to fab and may not be one hundred precent, but would keep the average punk out of your fuel tank, too take out or almost as important adding unwanted additives.

tm america

just get a magneto or really strong ignition coil make a pulley to run a distributor wire it in to a keyed switch let them be able to craNK IT RUN A LONG COIL WIRE TO THE SEAT Bottom if they crank it over or start it they will get a shock good enough to make em crap their pants:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks