• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti-freeze in the passenger compartment

Hoxman

Hey!

I got a new surprise this a.m. when I opened the door and climbed in and saw a small puddle of antifreeze on the floor of the Deuce on the passenger's side.

It looks like 2 drips along the large metal box under the dash on the passenger side. I'm thinking its some leak in the heater core in the passenger compartment, like in the older vehicles when the radiator hose came through the firewall into the heater coil box..... but I'm not sure (there's not a whole lot of room to get up under there and look....

Has anyone else had this? What is causing it and what is/are the fix(es)???

Thanks!!

A

A/C Cages

It has a heater in the cab on that side, engine fed heater hose. probally just dry rotted hose. You hope, if not there is a small radiator up in there in the box.

I had the same leak in one of mine but the others didnt even have a heater.

Hoxman

Thank you all again for the info. I truly appreciate the help! I will take the box apart and look at the hose (hopefully dry rotted)... If not, I will be in the market for a new heater core...

Any suppliers you know of that will have them?

Hoxman

Update.....

Took the heater core out (it was a royal pain!!!!) These things were not meant to be worked on by large guys and were definitely NOT designed for aftermarket add ons.... This thing had to come from the factory like this or no one would want to put it in!!!!

Anyway, the core is rusted!! The hose was fine and I ended up soldering 1/2 copper pipe into a "U" shape and plugging the feeder and return hoses for now.

I am taking the box to a local radiator shop and if they can't repair it, I will see if they know a company that will custom build a radiator/heater core and put it back in the box and then I am going to reconfigure the install so it's easier to take out if I need to again (or the next guy)! I am thinking about putting a disconnect in the engine compartment rather than at the back of the box where it is now... Even getting to the hose clamps was unbelievably difficult!

Thanks for the help on this! If I get it fixed, I'll send pics and if I can locate a shop to rebuild/make a new one to insert back in the box, I'll post their info and price, etc. for anyone else who needs it.

8)

Hoxman

I have got the TMs for it from jatonka... There were a ton of manuals.. I have gotten through the lube and service one, but not all of the rest... Do they cover all of the servicing, etc. for removal of the various parts?

Katahdin

I would love to have this problem. I have most of the parts to install a heater under my dash and just haven't got there yet, and well, now its January in Maine. (admittedly a mild winter so far)

Can you post of some pics? I'd like to see how the A3 heater is mounted and where the air bleeder valve and hoses connections are.

steelandcanvas

I have got the TMs for it from jatonka... There were a ton of manuals.. I have gotten through the lube and service one, but not all of the rest... Do they cover all of the servicing, etc. for removal of the various parts?
The TM's have generally answered most of my questions. Start with the LO and Operator's Manuals. Then to the Unit, Direct and General Support Maintenance TM, the next TM is Unit, Direct and General Support Parts and Special Tools. From there you can go to engine and transmission rebuilding TM's, if you have the desire. These manuals make for good nightstand or bathroom reading material. I don't have an A3, so I have not perused the A3 manuals. Good Luck!

Hoxman

Mine is an A3, and it's a big green box under the dash on the passenger side with 2 hoses going through the firewall and immediately connected to the lines in the heater core, with no space behind the box to reach with any standard tool to loosen the hose clamps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks