• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antifreeze Extender Additive

Mack90

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,
I am about to change the coolant and hoses in my M817. I bought Zerex original green antifreeze and am trying to find and equivalent for the Mil-A-53009 antifreeze extender additive that is in the manual. Is this an SCA additive? How much do I need? Do you flush the system? If you have any tips or guidance, I would appreciate it very much.
Thank You,
Mack

ericp351

Hello All,
I am about to change the coolant and hoses in my M817. I bought Zerex original green antifreeze and am trying to find and equivalent for the Mil-A-53009 antifreeze extender additive that is in the manual. Is this an SCA additive? How much do I need? Do you flush the system? If you have any tips or guidance, I would appreciate it very much.
Thank You,
Mack
Any auto parts store will carry "additive" , including water wetter. The dosage is on the package. Try to use as close to distilled water as possible at changeout . The Anti-freeze part in antifreeze can and will last forever. The additives are to control pH (acids formed are bad), and lube the water pump. If you monitor pH, filter the crud out, and add additive you can probably run coolant forever, as tried on larger Marine Diesels. I trust if you ask 10 men you can get 8+ answers. We have to balance crud control, pH, lube, freeze point, and (for most of us) cost. Real issue , with several solutions- change often, a additives often, check-test often, et cetera. Good Luck.

87cr250r

The 53009 extended is meant to be used with 46153 coolants. Do not use it with other coolants.

Due to the age of the 46153 standard, it's likely a sodium nitrite inhibited coolant. You cannot buy these at auto parts stores anymore. All auto parts stores sell carboxylic acid inhibited coolants (these are usually called "Extended Life".

If you can find a nitrite based coolant, supplemental coolant additive is normally added the initial fill and regularly during use. I'll use Caterpillar because I am most familiar with their products. Cat sells it under the name SCA. SCA can also be used to treat straight water if you don't want to use glycol.

Cat still sells a nitrite based anti-freeze coolant under the name DEAC. It's fully formulated and does not require an initial dose of SCA on fill. It does require regular dosing of SCA during operation.

Most are phasing out the nitrite based coolants in favor of an extended life. Cat calls theirs ELC. The Cat ELC does have an extender that is to be added once at the mid-life of the coolant. ELI is the coolant concentrate that can be used to treat straight water if you don't want to run glycol.

Some engines that are especially prone to liner cavitation may also have nitrites in the extended life coolants, these are hybrid coolants which Cat's is.

Long story short, try not to mix and match coolants. There are differences in additives between types and brands and you may end up compromising your protection.

Mack90

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for the input! I have read the liners and seals are sensitive in this motor. It would be devastating to me to ruin the motir doing preventative maintenance.

ericp351

Thank you all for the input! I have read the liners and seals are sensitive in this motor. It would be devastating to me to ruin the motir doing preventative maintenance.
I completely agree. But, with new, quality anti freeze you may want to wait on additives unless you have a known issue. Excessive (I doubt a bit of additive qualifies... ) dissolved solids also not great.... 'just saying- good luck.

87cr250r

Something to keep in mind, whatever antifreeze formulation you use, they cannot protect dirty metal. The corrosion inhibitors are film forming additives that react with the metals to produce the protective films. Rust and other dirt will prevent the formation of protective film and the corrosion will continue uninhibited beneath the existing corrosion. If the engine is questionable or dirty, it is recommended to flush with an acid-based cleaner.

87cr250r

If you don't buy a heavy duty "conventional" coolant you're supposed to add SCA on the initial fill and again every 300 hours or so with a change at 3000 hours

Conventional coolants are available to purchase through Caterpillar but not many other sellers even have it.

Heavy duty ELC coolants can run up to 20k hours but do require the use of an extender once at the mid-life of the coolant. 10k hours, half coolant life, is the equivalent of 300k miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks